[act-ma] 6/7 (Thursday) Movements of Movements - A Talk and Reception for the Activist Writers, 7:00 p.m. @ e5

Suren Moodliar suren at fairjobs.org
Wed Jun 6 05:31:12 PDT 2018

THE MOVEMENTS OF MOVEMENTSActivist writer Jai Sen w/Matt Meyer, Mimi Jones
and others
Hosted by Boston's own *Dorotea Manuela*, editor/writer/activist *Jai Sen*
and his co-contributors *Matt Meyer*, *Jeff Juris*, and commentators
including *Mary Jo Connolly*, *Mimi Jones *and others (updates
forthcoming), celebrate and discuss *Movements of Movements: What Makes Us
Move?* (PM Press) at *encuentro5*.*

Light refreshments will be served. Co-sponsor list in formation.

PM Press: Our world today is not just ‘a world in crisis’ but also a world
in profound movement, with increasingly large numbers of people joining or
forming movements, and not just in relation to the crises we are facing,
but also looking beyond : Local, national, transnational, and global. The
dazzling diversity of ideas and experiences recorded in the two books
comprising *The Movements of Movements* capture and reflect the
extraordinary drama of uprisings and movements in our times. Taking
internationalism seriously without tired dogmas, they provide a bracing
engagement with many of the central ideas and issues of practice that
emerged from local and global struggles from 2006 to 2010, a key
foundational period for contemporary movement. Reaching back also to the
1960s and forward to 2015, the essays - by outstanding activists and
scholars from across the South as well as the North, and both Indigenous
and Settler - cross borders and swords to look at the politics of caste,
class, gender, sexuality, religion, race, and indigeneity, and dance from
the local to the global.

*What Makes Us Move?*, the first volume, provides a foundation for
understanding the extraordinary range of uprisings around the world since
2011 : Tahrir Square, Occupy, the indignados, Gezi Park, others. It draws
on the rich reflection that took place during this period following the
huge wave of creative direct actions the preceded it, including 1968, the
Zapatista outbreak, the Battle of Seattle, and formations such as Peoples’
Global Action and the World Social Forum, and also maps the emergence of
political Islam. *Rethinking Our Dance*, the second volume, critically
engages with the thoughts and strategies that course through this wide
range of movements, and reflects on possible futures. Collectively, the
essays go way beyond individual movements. Together, they make
comprehensible the world of movement we live in, and contribute to a dance
of ideas between and across movements, including in terms of language,
grammar, and syntax.
----------
*9a Hamilton Place, Boston MA, 02108
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=4e542af659&e=197ff7c2ec>
- Next to the Orpheum Theatre.

JUNE 2018
-7-
7:00 - 9:00 P.M.
RSVP ON FACEBOOK TO HELP US BETTER ACCOMMODATE YOU!
(optional)
RSVP HERE
<https://encuentro5.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=53fe7b10944568ab8724330ae&id=8b06ec4ea1&e=197ff7c2ec>