[act-ma] Save The Date – Our Third “Midnight Voices” Thursday June 21st At Friends Meeting House, Cambridge -Be There For “Open Mic,” Vietnam Veteran Marc Levy’s Feature- Mini-Features By Afghan War Veteran Tom Laaser, Poet Georgia Parks And Writer David Rothhauser

alfredjohnson34 at comcast.net alfredjohnson34 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 05:11:43 PDT 2018

Save The Date – Our Third “Midnight Voices” Thursday June 21st At Friends Meeting House, Cambridge -Be There For “Open Mic,” Vietnam Veteran Marc Levy’s Feature- Mini-Features By Afghan War Veteran Tom Laaser, Poet Georgia Parks And Writer David Rothhauser

“Midnight Voices” Sponsored By Veterans for Peace-June 21st -7-9:30 PM

Friends Meeting House -5 Longfellow Park (across from Longfellow House on Brattle Street), Cambridge, Ma

We are grateful for the hard and energetic work of Eric Wasileski in creating this project under sometimes trying conditions and hope to see him take his rightful part again in the near future.

Many thanks to our contact person Homer Franck, Ian Harrington and the Peace and Social Action Committee of the Cambridge Friends Meeting House.

Calling all poets, writers, musicians, veterans, supporters, soldiers, free spirits- Midnight Voices is held each third Thursday of month. On Thursday June 21st at 7 PM we will have a great line-up. This month we will open up with an “open mic” then a feature of about twenty to thirty minutes and three mini-features of about fifteen minutes each with an intermission somewhere in between. The “open mic” sign-up will be with five-minute presentations. We will finish by about 9:00 PM to clean up and chat-All are most welcome. Refreshments provided.

Anybody who has books, music and such for sale or for giving away feel free to bring them along as we will have a table set up for that purpose table.

Al Johnson, will be hosting the June and we have lined up Smedley Ex Comm member, doctor and 101st Airborne Vietnam vet Bob Masters to host the July 19th event.

We will not have an event in August but start up again in September and we have been extended until May 2019 each third Thursday of the month.

Our second MV on May 17th was a successful evening with the ghost of Pete Seeger hovering over the room as banjo man and singer /songwriter Pat Scanlon did his magic, Susan McLucas played her politically-etched songs on guitar and up and coming young poet and writer Georgia Park read from her latest works

Coming June 21st–decorated Vietnam veteran, poet, writer Marc Levy

Marc Levy was an infantry medic with the First Cavalry in Vietnam and Cambodia in 1970.   He was decorated three times and court-martialed twice. His work has appeared in New Millennium Writings, Stone Canoe, Mudfish, Chiron Review and elsewhere. He won the 2016 Syracuse University Institute for Veterans and Military Families Writing Prize. Recently he self-published How Stevie Nearly Lost the War and Other Postwar Stories, and Dreams, Vietnam. Several of his war photos will be featured in the upcoming Netflick's sci fi series The Umbrella Academy. His website is Medic in the Green Time. com.

And…

Tom Laaser is an English major at Salem State University. An Army veteran, he runs the Salem Veteran Writers workshop in collaboration with the Salem VFW Post. His work has appeared in As You Were: A Military Literary Journal.  He is a recipient of the 2017 Writing Award and 2018 Creativity award at Salem State. He lives in Salem with his wife and two sons. He is currently working on a novel detailing the lives of those he served with while deployed to Afghanistan and their difficult transition home.

And…

Georgia Park contributing editor of Sudden Denouement, founder and editor-in-chief of Whisper and the Roar, and author of Quit Your Job and Become a Poet (Out of Spite). She has been published in several literary magazines, most recently, The Offbeat. She does funny, playful, dark, morbid, Trump related and non- Trump related poems, with or without an emphasis on travel. She is currently pursuing an MA in English with a focus on creative writing and working as an editor of confidential documents.

Georgia will also feature in July

And….

David Rothauser, writer, director, actor, filmmaker U.S. Army vet, Korean War. David began his career as an actor while living in Paris, France. Among his film and television credits are THE LONGEST DAY KENNEDY and SPENSER FOR HIRE. He is the founder of MEMORY PRODUCTIONS, an independent film company which produced his film, THE DIARY OF SACCO AND VANZETTI, broadcast on WGBH-TV, Boston in 2004 and 2005. HIBAKUSHA, OUR LIFE to LIVE, the stories of Hiroshima-Nagasaki survivors, premiered at the United Nations in 2010. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon requested copies for the UN.

Currently David is completing a historical novel about the Sacco-Vanzetti case. Copies of two of his films are available for purchase at MV.