[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - August 5, 2018

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Aug 5 09:17:52 PDT 2018

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater
Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

—————————
Monday, August 6
—————————

10am  Is That Me or My Twin? Lack of Self-Face Recognition Advantage in Identical Twins
11am  Inside Nature Physics
12pm  Leveraging Universities for Advancing State & Local Energy Policy
2pm  Bioinspired Mineralization in Hydrogels for Sustainable Materials Processing
5:30pm  Review of Cambridge Social Cohesion Survey
6:30pm  Tumor Metabolism:  How cancer cells fuel their growth
6:30pm  The GIANT (Genetic Investigation of ANthropometric Traits) Consortium
6:30pm  The Future of Work in a Tech-Driven Economy
7pm  You Can Stop Humming Now:  A Doctor's Stories of Life, Death, and In Between
7pm  Harvest Food Coop Community Town Hall

——————————
Tuesday, August 7
——————————

10am  Introduction to Satellite Remote Sensing
3pm  Congressional Debate: Representative Capuano & City Councilor Pressley
5:30pm  "Forgotten Farms" Film Screening
7pm  You Can Stop Humming Now

———————————
Wednesday, August 8
———————————

10am  Novel Materials for Silicon Based Photonics
12pm  The new era of postbiotics: Gut microbiome-derived lipid metabolites for health and wellness
12pm  Communicating Your Science to the General Public
6:30pm  How do genes control our size and shape?
7pm  Reader, Come Home:  The Reading Brain in a Digital World
7pm  Written Off: Mental Health Stigma and the Loss of Human Potential
7pm  Cleantech Open - Boston Business Clinic: Finance, Funding, & Legal (PUBLIC)

——————————
Thursday, August 9
——————————

1pm  Building Markets: Energy Storage in Massachusetts and Offshore Wind in Rhode Island
2pm  Mysteries of Motivation
6pm  Slow Money Boston Summer Social at Bow Market
6pm  Future of Food
7pm  Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History

—————————
Friday, August 10
—————————

6pm  National Day of Civic Hacking 2018: IGNITE Boston

——————————
Monday, August 13
——————————

10am  Fetal Facial Expression in Response to Intravaginal Music Emission
12pm  Numerical Methods for Modeling, Simulation and Control for Deformable Robots
6pm  Boston New Technology FinTech & Blockchain Startup Showcase #BNT92 (21+)
7pm  The Gulf:  The Making of an American Sea

——————————————————————————————
Tuesday, August 14, 6:00 PM - Thursday, August 16, 1:00 PM
——————————————————————————————

National Environmental Justice Advisory Council (NEJAC) Public Meeting (In Person Meeting

——————————
Tuesday, August 14
——————————

7:30am  Healthy Building Summit - Wellness is the Bottom Line
5pm  Slow Food Boston Summer Social
6pm  Play Labs Demo Day
6:30pm  Cerebral Cinema: Inception with Dr. Steve Ramirez

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

Notes on The Language of the Third Reich
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2018/08/notes-on-language-of-third-reich.html

—————————
Monday, August 6
—————————

Is That Me or My Twin? Lack of Self-Face Recognition Advantage in Identical Twins
Monday, August 6
10am
Toscanini’s Ice Cream, 159 First Street, Cambridge

Marc Abrahams

More information at https://www.improbable.com/2018/07/11/new-series-of-events-improbable-research-table-talks/

————————————

Inside Nature Physics
Monday, August 6
11:00 am
Northeastern, 177 Huntington Avenue, 11th floor, Boston

FEDERICO LEVI, Senior Editor, Nature Physics
Since its launch in 1869, Nature has seen its mission as two-fold: facilitating the prompt communication of the most important scientific developments to the relevant research communities, while at the same time fostering a greater appreciation of these great works of science amongst the wider public. Although the publishing landscape for scientific research is currently undergoing a period of rapid change, these core principles remain largely unchanged. In this talk, I will endeavour to explain how Nature editors -- in particular those based at Nature Physicsapply these principles in practice, and so determine which few of the many excellent research submissions that we receive make it through to publication.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Federico started his editorial career in 2014 working at Nature Physics first, and then at Nature Communications. He re-joined Nature Physics in 2017, as a Senior Editor responsible for journal’s content in quantum physics and complex systems. Federico obtained his PhD in quantum information theory from the University of Freiburg, Germany.

—————————————

Leveraging Universities for Advancing State & Local Energy Policy
Monday, August 6
12 pm
Webinar
RSVP at https://suce.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_255727

Presented by Richard Reibstein
Earth & Environment Rick Reibstein has recently created GE 532 Research for Environmental Agencies & Organizations, in which students perform discrete research tasks for government and nonprofit groups on environmental and public health matters. The course has proven to be a great way to supplement scarce agency and NGO resources and produce work useful to the clients, the students, and the public. He will discuss student projects that involved energy, including:

Examining the potential for community solar to clean up waste sites;
The implementation of community choice aggregation;
The optimal placement of EV charging stations.
For those who might wish to consider replicating this approach, the conversation will cover how the course is conducted:
How research tasks are identified and selected;
The role of the course instructor in ensuring quality of product;
The team relationship and independent student work;
Contacts with relevant staff and experts.

Reception of student work has been enthusiastically positive in nearly all cases. Agencies and organizations use the class for research they don’t have the time to perform. Students learn about real world issues, make contacts and gain insight into how government works and experience that helps them get jobs. The work is made publicly available for anyone to use, at www.bu.edu/rccp. Some projects continue from semester to semester and some students have stayed with the class for successive terms working on the same or related projects. For example, one student evaluated tree retention policies for the state (these were for municipalities to implement), and in the next semester participated in a team that looked at getting carbon credits for forest conservation – both efforts should be considered as opportunities for carbon sequestration and part of a climate change mitigation

————————————

Bioinspired Mineralization in Hydrogels for Sustainable Materials Processing
Monday, August 6
2:00pm to 3:00pm
MIT, Building 6-104, Chipman, 182 Memorial Drive (Rear), Cambridg

Final Doctoral Thesis Defense: Abigail Regitsky
Thesis Committee:
Professor Alfredo Alexander-Katz
Professor Niels Holten-Andersen (Thesis Advisor)
Professor Carl Thompson
Professor Krystyn Van Vliet

———————————

Review of Cambridge Social Cohesion Survey
Monday, 6 August
5:30
Cmbridge, City Hall, Ackerman Room, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Social Cohesion is increasingly recognized as being the backbone of community resiliency in all its different forms. Neighbors are far more likely to be the immediate responders that help you get out of trouble or recover from a stressful event than traditional first responders, yet building networks of connected neighbors is an elusive goal for most communities.

As part of the work I did last term on Neighborhood Resiliency, we learned about the importance of social cohesion and neighborhood resiliency from a Northeaster grad student who later did a survey on the subject. This student, Courtney Page, will be discussing the survey’s findings, [contact Craig Kelley at email below for a copy of the report] starting at 5:30 on Monday, 6 August in the Ackerman Room at City Hall and I hope many of you can read the assessment report and make it to this meeting to learn more about this important issue and to think about what tools Cambridge can develop to help build social cohesion in our various communities.

Until then, have a great weekend and please pass this email on to anyone you think may be interested.

Craig
All emails to and from this City address should be considered to be subject to Massachusetts’s Public Records laws.  To be removed from this list, click here. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think may be interested in it. Also, I have scheduled office hours in Central Square on Monday’s from 1-3 PM and Thursdays from 9:30-11:30 AM, but please email CKelley at Cambridgema.gov before coming to confirm before showing up.

———————————

Tumor Metabolism:  How cancer cells fuel their growth
Monday, August 6
6:30 - 8pm
Burden, 247 Elm Street, Somerville

Scientists from Dr Marcia Haggis' group

More information at http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/science-by-the-pint/

———————————

The GIANT (Genetic Investigation of ANthropometric Traits) Consortium
Monday, August 6
6:30pm
Broad Institute, 415 Main Street, Cambridge

Joel Hirschhorn
(GIANT = The Genetic Investigation of ANthropometric Traits consortium seeks to identify genetic loci that modulate human body size and shape, including height and measures of obesity.)

More information at https://www.broadinstitute.org/midsummer-nights-science/midsummer-nights-science-2018

———————————

The Future of Work in a Tech-Driven Economy
Monday, August 6
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
General Assembly Boston, 125 Summer Street, 13th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-future-of-work-in-a-tech-driven-economy-tickets-47446122630

With the rapid pace of technological progress, work in the future will look very different than today. Presented with the Inclusive Innovation This event will explore how working people can anticipate the challenges and pursue the professional and economic opportunities in the future of work.
WHY IT MATTERS?
We live in perhaps the greatest age of technological innovation in human history. Yet many people are not experiencing the benefits of this progress. Wage growth is at a standstill, and jobs that were once pathways to guaranteed prosperity have dramatically changed or disappeared. To thrive in the rapidly advancing digital economy, working people will need to be prepared.
WHAT YOU'LL TAKE AWAY
How work is changing?
What jobs will be relevant in the future?
What skills will be required?
How will we maintain our personal financial security?

———————————

You Can Stop Humming Now:  A Doctor's Stories of Life, Death, and In Between
Monday, August 6
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store and Mass Humanities welcome physician and writer DANIELA LAMAS—pulmonary and critical care doctor at the Brigham & Women's Hospital and instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School—for a discussion of her debut book, You Can Stop Humming Now: A Doctor's Stories of Life, Death, and In Between.

About You Can Stop Humming Now
Modern medicine is a world that glimmers with new technology and cutting-edge research. To the public eye, medical stories often begin with sirens and flashing lights and culminate in survival or death. But these are only the most visible narratives. As a critical care doctor treating people at their sickest, Daniela Lamas is fascinated by a different story: what comes after for those whose lives are extended by days, months, or years as a result of our treatments and technologies?
In You Can Stop Humming Now, Lamas explores the complex answers to this question through intimate accounts of patients and their families. A grandfather whose failing heart has been replaced by a battery-operated pump; a salesman who found himself a kidney donor on social media; a college student who survived a near-fatal overdose and returned home, alive but not the same; and a young woman navigating an adulthood she never thought she'd live to see—these moving narratives paint a detailed picture of the fragile border between sickness and health.

Riveting, gorgeously told, and deeply personal, You Can Stop Humming Now is a compassionate, uncompromising look at the choices and realities that many of us, and our families, may one day face.

———————————————

Harvest Food Coop Community Town Hall
Monday, August 6
7 -8:30pm
Reservoir Churc Sanctuary, 170 Rindge Avenue, Cambridge

There is a proposal to preserve the Cambridge and Jamaica Plain food coops which will be explained and discussed.

——————————
Tuesday, August 7
——————————

Introduction to Satellite Remote Sensing
Tuesday, August 7
10:00am to 12:00pm
MIT Building 7-238, GIS Lab, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at http://libcal.mit.edu/event/4271828

Come learn about satellite remote sensing, and get an overview of the many ways to process satellite imagery. There will be demos in ENVI and ArcGIS software, both of which are available in the Geographic Information System (GIS) Lab.

Editorial Comment:  This is for the MIT Community but one of the categories for registration is “Visitor” so if you’re interested, give it a shot.

—————————————

Congressional Debate: Representative Capuano & City Councilor Pressley
Tuesday, August 7
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT
University of Massachusetts Boston Campus Center Ballroom A, B, & C, 100 William T Morrissey Boulevard, Boston
RSVP https://www.eventbrite.com/e/congressional-debate-representative-capuano-city-councilor-pressley-tickets-48255843527

BE SEATED BY 2:45 P.M.
THIS WILL BE A LIVE RADIO BROADCAST.

The University of Massachusetts Boston McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, WBUR radio, and TheBoston Globe will host a live debate with the Democratic candidates running in the 7th Congressional District this year.

Radio Boston host Meghna Chakrabarti will be joined by The Boston Globe Columnist Adrian Walker to co-moderate. The conversations will be conducted before a live audience at UMass Boston, and live-streamed on bostonglobe.com, wbur.org, and umb.edu.

Because the debate is taking place as part of WBUR’s Radio Boston program from 3 to 4 p.m., the live audience must be in their seats in the Campus Center Ballrooms A, B, and C, by 2:45 p.m. The doors open at 2:15p.m. and close at 2:45p.m. The debate is free and open to the public, but registration will be required.

—————————————

"Forgotten Farms" Film Screening
Tuesday, August 7
5:30pm
The Brattle Theater, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/cabot-presents-forgotten-farms-screening-qa-tickets-47453735400

As part of Eat Local Month, Cabot, in partnership with SBN and MDAR, is presenting a screening of Forgotten Farms followed by a question and

As part of Eat Local Month, Cabot, in partnership with SBN and MDAR, is presenting a screening of Forgotten Farms followed by a question and answer session with the directors.

Forgotten Farms examines class divides in our farm and food communities. Most people buy their food in supermarkets and don’t have a chance to meet their farmer, as the bumper sticker recommends. But in more affluent communities, farm-to-table restaurants, farmer's markets and CSAs are booming and the new farmers are celebrated.

There is another farmer who is left out of the local food celebration.

New England has lost over 10,000 dairy farms in the past 50 years; fewer than 2,000 farms remain. Collectively, they tend 1.2 million acres of farmland and produce almost all of the milk consumed in New England. In our enthusiasm for the new food movement, we often overlook the farmers at the foundation of the regional agricultural economy. Only 100 years ago, New England produced most of its own food on 16 million acres of farmland. Climate change will demand that more of our food is grown closer to where we live. As we strive to revive local production, we have much to learn from dairy farmers who have been managing most of the farmland and sustaining the farm economy all along. Through conversations with farmers and policy experts, the film reconsiders the role of these vital but forgotten farmers.

Forgotten Farms gives us a glimpse into the past and a vision for a future regional food system. The documentary shows the cultural divide between the new food movement and traditional farming, highlighting the need to examine differences, develop mutual understanding, and find common ground. A truly sustainable local food system that benefits everyone will rely on all of our farmers.

“You build your farm over generations and you lose your farm in an hour.” – Vic Ziemba, Dairy Farmer

Editorial Comment:  When we talk about “agriculture,” usually people mean fruits and vegetables, the food we see at the local farmers’ market but there are other kinds of agriculture like dairy farming, animal farming for meat, and commodity farming for beans and grains.  Each of these operates at a different scale and has vastly different problems.  When we talk about “agriculture,” we should be thinking of all of them.

—————————————

You Can Stop Humming Now
Tuesday, August 7
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Daniela Lamas discusses her book with Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich.

[...]

Daniela Lamas is a pulmonary and critical care doctor at the Brigham & Women's Hospital and faculty at Harvard Medical School. Following graduation from Harvard College, she went on to earn her MD at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, where she also completed internship and residency. She then returned to Boston for her subspecialty fellowship. She has worked as a medical reporter at the Miami Herald and is frequently published in the New York Times. This is her first book.

———————————
Wednesday, August 8
———————————

Novel Materials for Silicon Based Photonics
Wednesday, August 8
10:00am to 11:00am
MIT, Building 6- 104, Chipman, 182 Memorial Drive (Rear), Cambridge

Final Doctoral Thesis Defense: Qingyang Du
Thesis Committee:
Professor Juejun Hu (Thesis Advisor)
Dr. Jurgen Michel
Professor Caroline Ross

—————————————

The new era of postbiotics: Gut microbiome-derived lipid metabolites for health and wellness
Wednesday, August 8
12:00 p.m. ET
Webinar
RSVP at http://www.sciencemag.org/custom-publishing/webinars/new-era-postbiotics-gut-microbiome-derived-lipid-metabolites-health-and

Speakers
Jun Ogawa, Ph.D., Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Jun Kunisawa, Ph.D., National Institutes of Biomedical Innovation, Health and Nutrition, Osaka, Japan
Ikuo Kimura, Ph.D., Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Japan
Moderated by
Sean Sanders, Ph.D., Science/AAAS, Washington, DC

It is believed that over 100 trillion microbes make up the human gut microbiome. These microorganisms decompose indigestible substances such as fiber, providing an energy source for their human host. They also metabolize ingested food to produce various beneficial “postbiotic” compounds, including amino acids, vitamins, and short-chain fatty acids such as acetic acid and butyric acid. In recent years, the fields of metagenomics and metabolomics have advanced dramatically, broadening our understanding of the role of microbes and the metabolites they produce on human health. As the full importance of the gut microbiome is uncovered, and we learn more about the active metabolites generated by the microbiome, the role of these postbiotic metabolites is attracting greater attention. In particular, the discovery that novel bioactive fatty-acid metabolites may have health-promoting effects has generated much discussion. Our expert speakers will describe the importance of the human gut microbiome and its postbiotic metabolites, and will illustrate the beneficial effects of postbiotics on the host, focusing mainly on fatty-acid metabolites.

During the webinar, viewers will:
Be introduced to gut microbiome–derived postbiotics and their potential benefits
Hear about research into the generation of specific postbiotic fatty acids by enterobacteria and the metabolic pathways involved in postbiotics production
Learn about the health-promoting effects of postbiotics—particularly fatty-acid metabolites—on the host
Have the opportunity to have their questions answered during the live broadcast!
This webinar will last for approximately 60 minutes.

Speaker bios
Jun Ogawa, Ph.D., Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Since 2009, Dr. Ogawa has been a professor in the Graduate School of Agriculture at Kyoto University in Japan, where he also obtained his Ph.D. in 1992. He joined the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science in 1994 as an assistant fellow. He became an assistant professor in the Faculty of Agriculture at Kyoto University in 1995, moving to Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (the National Institute of Agricultural Research) in France as a visiting scholar in 2006 before rejoining Kyoto University in 2008 as a professor in the Research Division of Microbial Sciences. Dr. Ogawa’s research covers applied microbiology, microbial biochemistry, microbial physiology, fermentation physiology, enzyme engineering, environmental microbiology, and microbial molecular biology. His work focuses on identification and characterization of novel microbial functions.

Jun Kunisawa, Ph.D., National Institutes of Biomedical Innovation, Health and Nutrition, Osaka, Japan
Dr. Kunisawa is the head of the Laboratory of Vaccine Materials and the Laboratory of Gut Environmental Systems at the National Institutes of Biomedical Innovation, Health and Nutrition (NIBIOHN) in Osaka, Japan. He also serves as an adjunct professor at Osaka University and is a visiting professor at the University of Tokyo, Kobe University, and Hiroshima University. He was awarded his Ph.D. from the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Osaka University at 2001. Following postdoctoral training at the University of California, Berkeley, he was recruited by the University of Tokyo in 2004. He spent nine years in Tokyo as assistant and associate professor before moving to NIBIOHN to establish a new laboratory. His research focuses on immune regulation by the gut environment (including nutrition and commensal bacteria) and its association with immune diseases and human health. He also performs translational research for the development of vaccines, medicines, and functional foods.

Ikuo Kimura, Ph.D., Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Japan
Since 2013, Dr. Kimura has been an associate professor in the Department of Applied Biological Science at the Graduate School of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology. He obtained his B.S. from the Kyoto University School of Pharmacy in 2001 and his Ph.D. from the Graduate School and Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at Kyoto University in 2006. He held assistant professorships in the Laboratory of Applied Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy in the Chiba Institute of Science, and in the Department of Genomic Drug Discovery Science, Kyoto University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences. In 2011, he joined the Department of Reproductive Medicine in the School of Medicine at the University of California, San Diego as a visiting scholar. Dr. Kimura’s research focuses on the relationship between gut microbes and host energy regulation via diet, specifically how dietary metabolites may exert beneficial effects by improving the intestinal environment. His work aims to explore novel functional food materials by initiating cross-disciplinary efforts with professionals in fermentology and applied microbiology.

Sean Sanders, Ph.D., Science/AAAS, Washington, DC
Dr. Sanders did his undergraduate training at the University of Cape Town, South Africa, and his Ph.D. at the University of Cambridge, UK, supported by the Wellcome Trust. Following postdoctoral training at the National Institutes of Health and Georgetown University, Dr. Sanders joined TranXenoGen, a startup biotechnology company in Massachusetts working on avian transgenics. Pursuing his parallel passion for writing and editing, Dr. Sanders joined BioTechniques as an editor, before joining Science/AAAS in 2006. Currently Dr. Sanders is the Senior Editor for Custom Publishing for the journal Science and Program Director for Outreach.

———————————————

Communicating Your Science to the General Public
Wednesday, August 8
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM EDT
Thier Conference Room, Thier Research Building, 1st Floor, MGH Main Campus, 50 Blossom Street, Boston
RSVP zt https://www.eventbrite.com/e/communicating-your-science-to-the-general-public-tickets-47979606294

Communicating your science to the public has never been more important. How do you start writing that book you've been thinking about? How can you get MGH to create a press release about your latest finding? How can you use social media to connect to potential donors? Come find out!
A panel discussion featuring science author Sam Sommers, and representatives from MGH Public Affairs, MGH Media Relations, and MGH Research Institute.
Lunch provided 11:45 am

——————————————

How do genes control our size and shape?
Wednesday, August 8
6:30 - 7:30pm
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 415 Main Street, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/how-do-genes-control-our-size-and-shape-tickets-48427405674

Joel Hirschhorn
People come in many shapes and sizes, and genes play a strong role in determining how short or tall we are, or whether we are lean or obese. Joel will discuss recent dramatic advances in genetics that have led to the discovery of hundreds or thousands of places in our genomes that influence height or obesity, what this tells us about the biology of human height and weight, and how these discoveries could lead to new treatments for obesity.

——————————————

Reader, Come Home:  The Reading Brain in a Digital World
Wednesday, August 8
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes MARYANNE WOLF—acclaimed researcher, professor, and author of Proust and the Squid—for a discussion of her latest book, Reader, Come Home: The Reading Brain in a Digital World.

About Reader, Come Home
A decade ago, Maryanne Wolf’s Proust and the Squid revealed what we know about how the brain learns to read and how reading changes the way we think and feel. Since then, the ways we process written language have changed dramatically with many concerned about both their own changes and that of children. New research on the reading brain chronicles these changes in the brains of children and adults as they learn to read while immersed in a digitally dominated medium.

Drawing deeply on this research, this book comprises a series of letters Wolf writes to us—her beloved readers—to describe her concerns and her hopes about what is happening to the reading brain as it unavoidably changes to adapt to digital mediums. Wolf raises difficult questions, including:
Will children learn to incorporate the full range of "deep reading" processes that are at the core of the expert reading brain?
Will the mix of a seemingly infinite set of distractions for children’s attention and their quick access to immediate, voluminous information alter their ability to think for themselves?

With information at their fingertips, will the next generation learn to build their own storehouse of knowledge, which could impede the ability to make analogies and draw inferences from what they know?

Will all these influences, in turn, change the formation in children and the use in adults of "slower" cognitive processes like critical thinking, personal reflection, imagination, and empathy that comprise deep reading and that influence both how we think and how we live our lives?

Will the chain of digital influences ultimately influence the use of the critical analytical and empathic capacities necessary for a democratic society?
How can we preserve deep reading processes in future iterations of the reading brain?

Who are the "good readers" of every epoch?
Concerns about attention span, critical reasoning, and over-reliance on technology are never just about children—Wolf herself has found that, though she is a reading expert, her ability to read deeply has been impacted as she has become, inevitably, increasingly dependent on screens.

Wolf draws on neuroscience, literature, education, technology, and philosophy and blends historical, literary, and scientific facts with down-to-earth examples and warm anecdotes to illuminate complex ideas that culminate in a proposal for a biliterate reading brain. Provocative and intriguing, Reader, Come Home is a roadmap that provides a cautionary but hopeful perspective on the impact of technology on our brains and our most essential intellectual capacities—and what this could mean for our future.

———————————

Written Off: Mental Health Stigma and the Loss of Human Potential
Wednesday, August 8
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Philip Yanos discusses his book with Dr. Eve Davison of the Boston VA.

Written Off tells the story of how mental health stigma comes to have a profound impact on the lives of people diagnosed with mental illnesses. It reviews theory, research, and history - illustrated with a multitude of personal stories - in four major areas. These areas are: the prevalence and predictors of negative attitudes and behaviors toward mental illness, the impact of community attitudes and behaviors on the self-perceptions of people diagnosed with mental illness, the impact of self-perceptions on the community participation of people diagnosed with mental illness, and how to change self-perceptions through a variety of approaches.

Philip T. Yanos, Ph.D., is Professor of Psychology at John Jay College, City University of New York. He is an Associate Editor for the journal Stigma and Health, and the interim Director of Clinical Training for the clinical psychology Ph.D. program at John Jay College.

—————————————

Cleantech Open - Boston Business Clinic: Finance, Funding, & Legal (PUBLIC)
Wednesday, August 8
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EDT
Foley & Hoag LLP, 155 Seaport Boulevard, 16th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cleantech-open-boston-business-clinic-finance-funding-legal-public-tickets-48390916534
Cost:  $7.50

This interactive business clinic will cover critical topics such as financial modeling and funding information. For the workshops during the first part of the event, startups and their mentors of the 2018 Cleantech Open cohort will be set up in small groups and paired with finance, funding and legal experts to get feedback.

During the public portion of the clinic, we will hear lightning talks from a few experts who will provide an overview of these important areas, as well as examples of startups and their finance, funding and legal strategy in practice.

The event concludes with networking over drinks.

Lightning Talks:
Fundraising Basics for Startups - Mark Barnett, Co-Chair of Energy & Cleantech Industry Group and head of Renewable Energy Project Finance and Development Practice, Foley Hoag
Raising Money From Strategic Investors (versus typical VC or financial investors) - Mark Haddad, Partner, Co-Chair Business Department, Foley Hoag
Corporate Governance - Erica Harrington, Legal Associate, Foley Hoag
Financial Modeling for Cleantech Startups - ShevawnHardesty, CFO/Principal, Compass Financial Organization
Preparing for Fundraising - Bic Stevens, Managing Director, Hamilton Clark
Finance, Funding and Legal Lessons from a Cleantech Open Startup - Sanchali Pal, CEO & Co-Founder, Joro (2017 Cleantech Open alumni company)

——————————
Thursday, August 9
——————————

Building Markets: Energy Storage in Massachusetts and Offshore Wind in Rhode Island
Thursday, August 9
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EDT
Webinar
RSVP at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8111210918468775425

This webinar highlights two winning programs from CESA’s 2018 "State Leadership in Clean Energy Awards": Massachusetts’ Advancing Commonwealth Energy Storage (ACES) Program, and Rhode Island’s Block Island Offshore Wind Farm.

In Massachusetts, the Advancing Commonwealth Energy Storage (ACES) Program was created to jump-start the state’s energy storage industry by piloting innovative,  broadly replicable energy storage demonstration projects with multiple value streams, thereby priming Massachusetts for increased commercialization and deployment. ACES will demonstrate nine storage use cases to accelerate the adoption of storage technologies, provide benefits to customers and utilities, and highlight market and regulatory barriers. The 26 demonstration projects supported by the ACES program will collectively add 32MW/83MWh to the grid where only 4MW/7MWh currently exists.

In December 2016, Rhode Island became home to North America’s first offshore wind farm with the successful installation and operation of the 30 MW Block Island Wind Farm. This five-turbine project was developed by Deepwater Wind of Providence, RI. The project connected Block Island to the mainland electrical grid for the first time, allowing residents to end reliance on imported diesel to meet their electric generation needs. The project represents a significant clean energy accomplishment for Rhode Island and the nation, and it is helping to spur an entirely new industry and job creator for the coastal economy.

In two very different ways, each program is successfully advancing emerging clean energy technologies in their state. Guest speakers from the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center and the Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources (RIOER) will present.

Presenters:
Kavita Ravi, MassCEC
Galen Nelson, MassCEC
Chris Kearns, RIOER

For more information about the 2018 State Leadership in Clean Energy Awards, visit http://www.cesa.org/projects/state-leadership-in-clean-energy/2018

———————————

Mysteries of Motivation
Thursday, August 9
2pm
Harvard Medical School, Goldenson Building room 122, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston

Xingjie Stephen Zhang

———————————

Slow Money Boston Summer Social at Bow Market
Thursday, August 9
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
Bow Market, Bow Market Way, Somerville
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/slow-money-boston-summer-social-at-bow-market-tickets-47897834713
Cost:  $10  Ticket price includes $5 voucher that can be used at any of the food or drink vendors at Bow Market.

Join Slow Money Boston and Bow Market for a summer social event on August 9th. Located at the heart of Union Square, Bow Market is a multi-use space that provides small-scale storefronts to established and aspiring food vendors, retailers, and artists in Somerville and Greater Boston. Come tour the new space and learn about the founding, mission and vendors of the new Bow Market.

The evening will begin with a market tour and Q&A with the co-founders, along with some of the vendors. After, we will continue the conversation with networking and beverages at Remnant Brewing.
6 - 7pm Tour of Bow Market
7 - 8pm SMB Social & Networking

————————————

Future of Food
Thursday, August 9
6 – 8:30 pm EDT
GA Boston, 125 Summer Street 13th Floor, Boston

Our food system is rapidly changing and these innovators are staying ahead of the game.

Join us at General Assembly for a panel discussion exploring the future of the food industry as it intersects with technology and changing consumer behaviors. We'll delve into the rising trends around food tech as it applies to on demand delivery, access to healthy meal plans, culinary media, food waste management, and consumer experiences. Hear straight from experts in the space to small business food entrepreneurs who are revolutionizing the industry in Boston.

————————————

Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History
Thursday August, 9
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

Keith O’Brien
The untold story of five women who fought to compete against men in the high-stakes national air races of the 1920s and 1930s — and won.

—————————
Friday, August 10
—————————

National Day of Civic Hacking 2018: IGNITE Boston
Friday, August 10
6:00 PM – 9:30 PM EDT
CIC Cambridge, 1 Broadway, 5th Floor, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-day-of-civic-hacking-2018-ignite-boston-tickets-48052189392

Please join Code for Boston for an evening of IGNITE talks for our sixth annual National Day of Civic Hacking event on Friday, August 10. Taking place at CIC Cambridge, this year’s event will feature a series of IGNITE talks from prominent members of Boston's civic tech and government communities.
We can't wait to see you all for an evening of talks, conversation, and networking!

Should I come to National Day of Civic Hacking (NDoCH)?
Yes! NDoCH is for urbanists, civic hackers, government staff, developers, designers, community organizers, technologists, data scientists, engaged citizens, and anyone with the passion to make their government better.

What will we be doing at National Day of Civic Hacking?
Our goal at NDoCH is to bring together government folks, technologists, and regular citizens to engage with local problems in their communities. This year, we'll be hosting a series of IGNITE talks to explore important topics in technology, government, inclusion, and more.
If you’re not familiar with the IGNITE talk format, it goes like this: Presenters get 20 slides, which automatically advance every 15 seconds, for a total of 5 minutes for the whole talk. They can be pretty hectic and high-energy, and quite a lot of fun. Code for Boston ran an evening of IGNITES as part of National Day of Civic Hacking in 2015 featuring talks from MAPC, TUGG, Resilient Coders, the City of Cambridge, Code for America Fellows, and more, and it was a blast. Check out the video on YouTube.

What's the lineup for the IGNITE talks?
We've put together an awesome lineup of local civic tech and government leaders for the evening's program. This year, we'll be joined by:
Laura Melle, Senior Procurement Lead, City of Boston
Alicia Rouault, Digital Services Director, Metropolitan Area Planning Council
Sky Rose, Software Engineer, MBTA Customer Technology Department
Nnenna Ndukwe, Software Engineer, Bison
Ethan Bagley, Innovation Program Manager, Amica Insurance
And a longer talk by Dana Chisnell of the Center for Civic Design and UsabilityWorks.
Keep checking back as we add to our lineup!

——————————
Monday, August 13
——————————

Fetal Facial Expression in Response to Intravaginal Music Emission
Monday, August 13
10 am
Toscanini’s Ice Cream, 159 First St., Cambridge

Marc Abrahams and Gus Rancatore

————————————

Numerical Methods for Modeling, Simulation and Control for Deformable Robots
Monday, August 13
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Wyss Institute, 60 Oxford Street, Room 330, Cambridge

Dr. Christian Duriez, Research Director, DEFROST
The design of robots can now be done with complex deformable structures, close to organic material that can be found in nature. Soft robotics opens very interesting perspectives in terms of human interaction, new applications, cost reduction, robustness, security… Soft robotics could bring new advances in robotics in the coming years. However these robots being highly deformable, traditional modeling and control methods used in robotics do not fully apply. During this talk, this scientific challenge of modeling and control of soft robot will be presented. Dr. Duriez will also present contributions which make use of methods from numerical mechanics (like Finite Element Methods) and adapt them to fulfill the constraints of robotics: real-time computation, direct and inverse kinematic models, and closed loop control.

Contact
ana.villardejimenez at wyss.harvard.edu
617-496-6345

————————————

Boston New Technology FinTech & Blockchain Startup Showcase #BNT92 (21+)
Monday, August 13
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
The Yard, 120 St James Avenue, Boston
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Boston_New_Technology/events/252811885/
Cost: $15.00 /per person

21+. Join Boston New Technology on August 13th at The Yard: Back Bay's coworking offices to:
See 7 innovative and exciting local FinTech & Blockchain demos, presented by startup founders
Network with 200 attendees
Get your free professional headshot photo from The Boston Headshot (non-intrusively watermarked)
Enjoy pizza, salad, beer and wine
Each company presents an overview and demo of their product within 5 minutes and discusses questions with the audience.

Save 50% by purchasing at least 48 hours in advance.
Attendees must be 21+, due to alcohol being served.

————————————

The Gulf:  The Making of an American Sea
Monday, August 13
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes award-winning author and environmental historian JACK E. DAVIS for a discussion of his latest book, The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea—winner of the 2018 Pulitzer Prize in History.

About The Gulf
Hailed as a “nonfiction epic . . . in the tradition of Jared Diamond’s best-seller Collapse, and Simon Winchester’s Atlantic” by the Dallas Morning News, Jack E. Davis’s The Gulf is what the Wall Street Journal calls “by turns informative, lyrical, inspiring and chilling for anyone who cares about the future of ‘America’s Sea.’” Illuminating America’s political and economic relationship with the environment from the age of the conquistadors to the present, Davis demonstrates how the Gulf’s fruitful ecosystems and exceptional beauty empowered a growing nation. Filled with vivid, untold stories from the sportfish that launched Gulfside vacationing to Hollywood’s role in the country’s first offshore oil wells, this “vast and well-told story shows how we made the Gulf [into] a national sacrifice zone” (Bill McKibben). The first and only study of its kind, The Gulf offers what Edward O. Wilson calls “a unique and illuminating history of the American Southern coast and sea as it should be written.”

——————————————————————————————
Tuesday, August 14, 6:00 PM - Thursday, August 16, 1:00 PM
——————————————————————————————

National Environmental Justice Advisory Council (NEJAC) Public Meeting (In Person Meeting
Tuesday, August 14 6:00 PM - Thursday, August 16, 1:00 PM (EDT)
Boston Park Plaza, 50 Park Plaza, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-environmental-justice-advisory-council-nejac-public-meeting-in-person-meeting-option-registration-44932493297

This registration is for the in-person meeting only. If you would like to attend by teleconference please register here - https://nejac-public-teleconference-option-august-2018.eventbrite.com

The National Environmental Justice Advisory Council Public Meeting

DATE AND TIME:
Public Comment Period:  Tuesday, August 14, 2018 – 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time
Public Meeting:  Wednesday, August 15, 2018 -  9 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.   Eastern Time
Public Meeting:  Thursday, August 16, 2018 -  9 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  Eastern Time

AGENDA:
The meeting discussion will focus on several topics including, but not limited to, environmental justice concerns of communities in Boston, MA and surrounding areas; discussion and deliberation of the final report from the NEJAC Environmental Justice and Water Infrastructure Finance and Capacity Work Group; and the proactive efforts of EPA Region 1 to advance environmental justice.
Final meeting agenda and any handouts will be sent out when registration closes.

——————————
Tuesday, August 14
——————————

Healthy Building Summit - Wellness is the Bottom Line
Tuesday, August 14
7:30am - 12pm
Le Meridien, Cambridge-MIT, 20 Sidney Street, Cambridge
RSVP at http://usgbcma.org
Cost:  $53.55 - 69.31

In 2018, the World Green Building Council reported that buildings designed for occupant wellness reported healthier, happier, and more productive employees. One Harvard University study even found that better air quality in office environments was linked with higher cognitive function in occupants.

The data shows that healthy buildings are not a frivolous expense. In fact, they can directly improve the bottom line of many organizations. Yet from Health Product Declarations (HPD) to Red Lists, WELL to FitWell, and LEED to the Living Building Challenge, the avenues for pursuing healthy buildings for your occupants can be overwhelming.

We want to empower you with healthy building strategies so that the people who occupy your buildings, as your employees, your tenants, or your clients can be productive and feel great in an optimal working environment.

For our Healthy Building Summit, we have gathered an expert panel from top corporations and institutions. Join us for a hot breakfast and converse with your colleagues about healthy buildings. Afterwards, our panel will spearhead a discussion, engaging the audience with provocative questions and information on the science and engineering of healthy buildings.

Agenda:
7:30–8:30 – breakfast and networking
8:30–9:30 – Kickoff Presentations from the Panel
9:30–10:15 – Roundtable Discussions
10:15–10:30 – Break
10:30 – Panel Responses to Roundtable Provocations
11:00–11:30 – Whole-Room Moderated Conversation
11:30–12:00 – Networking

Meet our Presenters
Moderator, Nadav Malin, President, BuildingGreen
Nadav is the building industry’s acknowledged go-to resource when you need a thoughtful perspective on the materials and design solutions that define sustainable building practice. He is an experienced trainer and facilitator, convening the network of architecture firm Sustainable Design Leaders and teaching diverse groups about LEED and green building. He consults and leads workshops for major corporations, not-for-profit organizations, and design firms. He is a LEED Fellow and Honorary AIA.

Heather Henriksen
Managing Director, Harvard University Office for Sustainability
Heather Henriksen has served as Harvard University’s chief sustainability officer since 2008, advising the President and senior leadership on strategy and building an organizational change initiative that resulted in the University community achieving its initial science-based climate goal of a 30% reduction in net greenhouse gas emissions, from 2006 to 2016, despite the addition of over 3 million square feet of space. Heather directs the Office for Sustainability which oversees the implementation of the Harvard’s comprehensive Sustainability Plan (co-created with faculty and students in 2014) and the University’s ambitious new Climate Action Plan, announced by President Drew Faust, which sets bold targets to transform campus operations to be fossil fuel-free by 2050 and fossil fuel-neutral by 2026.

George Bandy
Vice President of Sustainability and Commercial Marketing, Mohawk
George provides substantial knowledge of the concepts and practices of sustainability. He believes that looking at opportunities to position environmental, economic and socially responsible solutions for customers can set the standard for other businesses to follow that will result in a brighter future for us all. George is a dynamic speaker that shares the vision for a sustainable future; covering such topics as: The Business Case for Sustainability, Health and Wellness, Innovation and Smart Design, Greening the Supply Chain, Social Sustainability, Marketing for 2020 Minds and Culture Change. In addition to his duties at Mohawk, George is the former Chairman of the Board at the United States Green Building Council (USGBC).

Monica Nakielski
Director, Sustainability and Environmental Health, Blue Cross Blue Shield
Monica Nakielski, of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, is one of the professionals responsible for providing leadership and vision for the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts sustainability and environmental health strategy. Nakielski earned her MBA from the Simmons School of Management and a B.S. in Medical Microbiology and Immunology from the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Her most recent work has been advocating for positive impact on the environment, health, and climate within hospitals and the medical industry. Prior to the Blue Cross Blue Shield, she was the senior program manager for Partners Healthcare developing sustainable initiatives for 16 medical facilities.

Jeff Hyman
Associate Director, Environment Health & Safety US at EMD Serono, Inc.
Jeffrey Hyman is the Environment Health and Safety Associate Director at EMD Serono, Inc. With his strong track record of over 30 years of experience in Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical operations, he is passionate about promoting, protecting and securing the well-being of people. Working at EMD Serono for over 28 years, he and his team are supporting over 1,300 nationally, providing opportunities to create secure and safe work cultures in the industry.

——————————

Slow Food Boston Summer Social
Tuesday, August 14
5:00 PM – 7:30 PM EDT
Café du Pays, 233 Cardinal Medeiros Avenue, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/slow-food-boston-summer-social-tickets-48193305474
Cost:  $15

Join fellow Slow Food enthusiasts at Café du Pays, Kendall Square's first (and the Boston area's only) spot paying homage to the rich and flavorful cuisine of our neighbors to the north. Meet co​-owner Heather Mojer whose French-Canadian roots via 19th century immigration to Western Massachusetts were the primary inspiration for the restaurant's concept, and chef Dan Amighi (La Brasa, Little Big Diner) who interprets many of the Quebecois menu staples seasonally with New England produce and seafood. Taste complimentary selections of this satisfying and heart-warming food in a beautiful setting. Try a craft cocktail with a focus on French spirits, wine​ or a Canadian beer from the F​ranc-o-fied​ bar.

Whether you're already a Slow Food member, are curious about learning more about us, or just love food as much as we do, we'd love to see you at our Summer Social! Members of Slow Food Boston receive advance notice of events, discounts on tickets to various events throughout the year, and help keep Slow Food Boston (a volunteer-run organization) going. Please consider joining us today!

Space is limited.

———————————

Play Labs Demo Day
Tuesday, August 14
6:00pm to 9:00pm
MIT, Building E51-115, Wong Auditorium, 70 Memorial Drive, Cambridge

Come join us for Play Labs’ Demo Day @ MIT, a playful tech accelerator hosted by the MIT Game Lab.

Agenda:
6:00-6:30 Registration and intros
6:30-8:00 Batch 2 Company Pitches
8:00-9:00 Networking and Hands On Demos

Summary of Startups:
Batch 2 consists of 10 startups working with playful tech, including VR/AR/AR/esports for entertainment, gaming, and business applications. The second batch spans a wide breadth of categories, including:

eSports (2 startups)
VR/AR (2 startups)
Educational Technology (2 startups)
Blockchain (2 startups)
AI & Machine Vision (2 startups)
Voice Applications (2 startups)
The following is a list of the startups in the 2018 batch (in alphabetical order):

BitMovio is a blockchain enabled video entertainment marketplace, connecting forward-thinking content creators with passionate consumers. (http://www.bitmov.io)
BlocksCAD 3D modeling software fills a critical need for teachers in elementary and middle schools seeking ways to leverage engaging 3D printers with teaching math and coding fundamentals. (https://www.blockscad3d.com)
BUTTON WALLET is developing a multi-crypto-currency wallet called BUTTON and crypto exchange which works inside Telegram (the key messaging platform in the crypto/blockchain industry). (https://buttonwallet.com)
InTheGame creates apps gamifying the viewing experience of esports and live broadcasts, powered by our computer vision & ai technology. (https://www.inthegame.io)
LUI is a new Human-Computer Interface for interactive media on large screens and AR/VR platforms. It utilizes voice and gestures to naturally control UI elements such as Maps, Photos and Youtube using interfaces like those featured in Minority Report and Iron Man. ( https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/large-user-interface-with-gesture-and-voice-feedback/overview/)
PlaySpark is creating the next generation of social gaming in Augmented Reality. (http://playsparkgames.com)
Realism is a 3-d science simulation platform that teaches secondary school science concepts through real world labs and engages students through gamification. (https://realism.io)
SitNPlay Games is an E-Sports platform that connects players all around the globe providing ad-hoc competitions for real prizes that can be cashed out by the users trough PayPal, Bitcoin, Rixty Credits or even Steam Gift Cards. (https://sitnplay.games)
Toucan AI is the only platform that allows you to create conversational AI characters with their own memories and personalities. (https://www.toucanai.com)
Whetstone Technologies is a software company building a platform to enable easy creation of voice applications for Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home and other voice technologies with a specific focus on the healthcare vertical (https://whetstonetechnologies.io).

———————————

Cerebral Cinema: Inception with Dr. Steve Ramirez
Tuesday, August 14
6:30pm to 9:00pm
MIT Museum, 265 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Join us for the first part in our Cerebral Cinema series, where you'll hear from researchers and then compare real science to depictions on the big screen.

Learn how the brain processes emotions as Kay Tye, MIT Associate Professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, describes her research. Then enjoy Inside Out, the very popular animated film starring Joy, Anger, Fear, Disgust, and Sadness!

This event is presented in conjunction with The Beautiful Brain: The Drawings of Santiago Ramón y Cajal.

Free.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

———————————
Wednesday, August 15
———————————

Boston Sustainability Breakfast
Wednesday, August 15
7:30am – 8:30am
Pret A Manger, 101 Arch Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-sustainability-breakfast-tickets-45868732614

Join us every month for Net Impact Boston's informal breakfast meetup of sustainability professionals for networking, discussion, and moral support. It's important to remind ourselves that we are not the only ones out there in the business world trying to do good! Feel free to drop by any time between 7:30 and 9:00 am.

————————————

SBN on Tour at Red's Best
Wednesday, August 15
10:30am
Red's Best, 37 Fish Pier Street West, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/sbn-on-tour-at-reds-best-tickets-47669229950

Meet Red’s Best, a Boston based seafood wholesaler, who aggregates catch directly from over 1,000 small, independent New England fishing boat.

Do you know your fisherman?
You probably know your dentist and your accountant but you may not know your fishermen even though they feed you. Meet Red’s Best, a Boston based seafood wholesaler, who aggregates catch directly from over 1,000 small, independent New England fishing boats annually. Red's Best mission is to sustain the livelihoods of American fishermen and their families while sustaining fisheries for harvest.
Join the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts for a tour of the Red's Best fish pier facility and let's talk about where our fish comes from and why it matters.

—————————————

Blockchain, A.I. and the Future of Media
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
5:45 PM to 7:45 PM
Venture Café Kendall (5th floor), 1 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://www.meetup.com/Blockchain-A-I-and-the-Future-of-Media/events/252231891/

***Limited capacity event, so we request that you RSVP only if you will be able to join the event in Cambridge or online, thanks***

Join a community of innovators and artists (musicians, filmmakers, photographers), to discuss, design and test a transparent, efficient, and equitable media industry of the future.

The media industry is at an inflection point and there is need to rethink old methods and standards of publishing, licensing and monetizing content (music, films, photos, books, etc.). At this meetup, learn about the experiences of various artists, current developments in blockchain and A.I. related to media, and compelling areas for further research and experimentation. Attendees will have access to the meetups and online community, to share and learn from one another (you may join remotely too).

——————————————

The Future of Transportation
Wednesday, August 15
6:30 – 8:30 pm EDT
GA Boston, 125 Summer Street 13th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://generalassemb.ly/education/the-future-of-transportation/boston/53403

Back in the 1900s, the invention of the car drastically improved quality of life for anyone that could throw down $500.

Today, however, it’s easy to feel like owning or driving your own vehicle is more trouble than it’s worth. Dealing with Boston’s traffic and city parking is enough to make anyone crazy, but there is also a whole host of broader technology and innovation concerns to consider now that the future of self-driving vehicles is almost here.

It’s clear that the industry is at a turning point: companies are working to innovate and improve on things like safety, efficiency, clean technology, and affordability. Join us to explore exciting developments in the Transport-as-a-Service (TaaS) industry and discuss what the future holds.

—————————————

IPFS: The Interplanetary File System
Wednesday, August 15
6:30 pm to 9:00 pm
MIT,  Building E51-335, 2 Amherst Street or 70 Memorial Drive, Cambridge

Brian DeLacey - bdelacey gmail com
Summary
IPFS is the distributed web: A peer-to-peer hypermedia protocol to make the web faster, safer, and more open.
Abstract
At this meeting we will dig into IPFS - the Interplanetary File System. IPFS promises to take us way beyond the World Wide Web and internet as we know it today.

IPFS builds on the early and existing technologies of the internet while unshackling today's networked constraints in areas such as “internet of things”, by connecting endpoints with a true “internet of data”. The meeting will incorporate demos as well as discussions and close by asking a simple question: Will IPFS become a fundamental cornerstone of an internet-scale OS?

During the Q&A period prior to the meeting, 6:30-7:00 PM, Brian is prepared to assist interested attendees with installing IPFS on their laptops, which will make it possible for such attendees to “surf along” during the meeting.

——————————

We're Doomed. Now What?:  Essays on War and Climate Change
Wednesday, August 15
7:00 PM
Harvard Book Store, 1256 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge

Harvard Book Store welcomes acclaimed writer and Notre Dame English professor ROY SCRANTON—author of War Porn and Learning to Die in the Anthropocene—for a discussion of his latest book, We're Doomed. Now What?: Essays on War and Climate Change.

About We're Doomed. Now What?
An American Orwell for the age of Trump, Roy Scranton faces the unpleasant facts of our day with fierce insight and honesty. We’re Doomed. Now What? penetrates to the very heart of our time.

Our moment is one of alarming and bewildering change—the breakup of the post-1945 global order, a multispecies mass extinction, and the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it. Not one of us is innocent, not one of us is safe. Now what?

We’re Doomed. Now What? addresses the crisis that is our time through a series of brilliant, moving, and original essays on climate change, war, literature, and loss, from one of the most provocative and iconoclastic minds of his generation. Whether writing about sailing through the melting Arctic, preparing for Houston’s next big storm, watching Star Wars, or going back to the streets of Baghdad he once patrolled as a soldier, Roy Scranton handles his subjects with the same electric, philosophical, demotic touch that he brought to his groundbreaking book, Learning How to Die in the Anthropocene.

——————————

Grow What You Love
Wednesday, August 15
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Grow What You Love is designed to be a simple guide to growing vegetables, herbs and more that will add to the flavor and variety of fresh produce choices throughout the year. Aimed at novice and experienced gardeners alike it will be an image-driven, how-to adventure from an expert gardener and communicator with an enthusiasm for an authentic life.

The colorful book will begin with an exploration of Emily's approach to gardening and how it can fit into modern life with little time and effort. She will go on to give advice on how best to choose food plants that readers love, or can discover, and follows with simple methods for garden-to-table growing, including a selection of her favorite seasonal recipes. The result for readers will be a garden-fresh bounty for any time of the year.

Emily Murphy is the author of the foodie-centric garden blog Pass The Pistil, and one of Garden Design Magazine's "most loved" blogs of 2015. Emily is a web series host, a contributor to Better Homes and Gardens, a garden design and organic gardening consultant, and a teacher of organic gardening. Emily holds a degree in Ethnobotanical Resources from Humboldt State University where she also studied botany and environmental science.

———————————
Thursday, August 16
———————————

NETWORKING BREAKFAST AT STUDIO ALLSTON
Thursday, August 16
8:30 AM to 11:30 AM (EDT)
Studio Allston, 1234 Soldiers Field Road, Boston

Studio Allston is a boutique hospitality experience  inspired by Boston’s eclectically creative community. The recently opened hotel embodies a spirit of adventure and creativity, dedicated to leaving a last impression. The lobby, guestrooms, and restaurant are transformed into tremendous works of art from 12 different artists, many of whom are local to the Boston area. Casa Caña, the bright and colorful full service Latin restaurant on-site will open in Summer 2018 and will also feature plenty of outdoor seating with its courtyard patio and rum bar. #StayOutsideTheFrame with Studio Allston and you’ll be glad you did!

If you live or work in Allston-Brighton, then be sure to stop by this networking breakfast sponsored by the Harvard Ed Portal and hosted by Studio Allston Hotel!  Connect with friends and neighbors, share ideas and resources, network with like-minded entrepreneurs and learn firsthand about Studio Allston hotel from Desirae Beal, Director of Sales & Marketing – Desirae is a Boston native who enjoys unique experiences and learning new things. Current passions include baking the perfect macarons and visiting random cities and towns on the weekends. She has been in the hotel industry for nearly 10 years and is beyond excited to represent Boston’s most unique hotel.

—————————————

TEDxBeacon Street Salon:  Exploration
Thursday, August 16
3-8 pm:
TripAdvisor Headquarters,  400 1st Avnuee, Needham
RSVP at https://tedxbeaconstreet.com/tedxbeaconstreet-salon-at-tripadvisor/

—————————————

Getting "Hard History" Right: An Evening with Teaching Tolerance
Thursdat, August 16
4:00 PM – 7:00 PM EDT
Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts, 527 Tremont Street, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-hard-history-right-an-evening-with-teaching-tolerance-tickets-47966317547
Cost:  $15

How should American slavery be taught? Most teachers agree the topic is critically important but lack the resources to do it justice. Teaching Hard History: American Slavery, a comprehensive framework and set of teaching materials, was designed to fill this gap.

Join Teaching Tolerance and Professor Hasan Jeffries to learn more about Teaching Hard History and how it can help educators and students draw connections between historical events and present-day struggles for racial equality. You’ll hear about what we found in our year-long investigation into how the topic is taught and explore the Teaching Hard History Framework, which provides a blueprint for teaching how the world we inhabit today was shaped by slavery and its ideological progeny, white supremacy. The materials take advantage of new scholarship and primary sources, with each topic ending with pragmatic answers to the question, “How can I teach this?”
The event is open to anyone working in the fields of education or racial justice and will include a panel discussion with educators and scholars, as well as a question-and-answer session.

Doors open at 4:00pm, with the program beginning promptly at 4:30pm. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served during the 6:00-7:00pm reception following the program.

—————————————

Small Town, Big Oil: The Untold Story of the Women Who Took on the Richest Man in the World-And Won
Thursday, August 16
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

In the fall of 1973, the Greek oil shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis, husband of President John F. Kennedy's widow, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and arguably the richest man in the world, proposed to build an oil refinery on the narrow New Hampshire coast, in the town of Durham. At the time, it would have cost $600 million to build and was expected to generate 400,000 barrels of oil per day, making it the largest oil refinery in the world. The project was vigorously supported by the governor, Meldrim Thomson, and by William Loeb, the notorious publisher of the only statewide newspaper, the Manchester Union Leader.

But three women vehemently opposed the project--Nancy Sandberg, the town leader who founded and headed Save Our Shores; Dudley Dudley, the freshman state rep who took the fight to the state legislature; and Phyllis Bennett, the publisher of the local newspaper that alerted the public to Onassis' secret acquisition of the land. Small Town, Big Oil is the story of how the residents of Durham, led by these three women, out-organized, out-witted, and out-maneuvered the governor, the media, and the Onassis cartel to hand the powerful Greek billionaire the most humiliating defeat of his business career, and spare the New Hampshire seacoast from becoming an industrial wasteland.

David W. Moore is an award-winning author, and currently a Senior Fellow at the Carsey Center for Public Policy at the University of New Hampshire. He is also the polling director and frequent columnist for iMediaEthics.org, for which he won the 2015 EPPY Award for his news/political commentary.

———————————

Kin Dza Dza - Film Screening
WHEN  Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018, 7 – 10 p.m.
WHERE  Harvard, CGIS South Building, Room S010 (Tsai Auditorium), 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION	Film, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Sponsored by the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies.
DIRECTED BY  Georgiy Daneliya
COST  Free
TICKET WEB LINK	  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kin-dza-dza-film-screening-tickets-46301684585
TICKET INFO  Free admission with registration.
CONTACT INFO  For more information, please call 617-495-4037.
DETAILS  Two Russians push the wrong button on a strange device and end up on the telepathic planet Pluke with its strange societal norms. (imdb.com)
Directed by Georgiy Daneliya (1986). 135 minutes. Russian language film with English subtitles.
LINK  https://daviscenter.fas.harvard.edu/events/kin-dza-dza

—————————
Friday, August 17
—————————

Zero Carbon Buildings by Carbon Based Lifeforms
Friday, August 17
8:30 AM to 10:30 AM (EDT)
50 Milk Street,  16th Floor, "Edison" Room 17th Floor, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/zero-carbon-buildings-by-carbon-based-lifeforms-tickets-48615417021
Cost:  $32.54 - $53.55

In the last decade, carbon levels increased 20 parts per million (from 380 to 403), the population grew by one billion, global temperature increased by half a degree Celsius, and 25 percent more people moved into our cities.

The world is rapidly changing and will be a very different place by 2030.  In this talk, we’ll explore dozens of disparate trends in technology, sustainability and the construction industry and connect the dots to get a glimpse into how we can save the world AND save our businesses at the same time.  You’ll learn how to stack emerging trends to forecast opportunities in the green building space.
Climate change is redefining the design parameters and project demands for building design.  Uncertainty in the future will require solutions that measure and manage energy, water and health outcomes in innovative ways.

During this energetic and entertaining session, we’ll train and engage attendees in a collaborative process to better address systemic barriers to healthy, high-performing, sustainable, resilient buildings.  Together, we’ll acknowledge the challenges and complexities facing project teams pursuing net zero / zero carbon projects and how to identify the risks amplified over and above a conventional development.
Hear from an award-winning architect in a lively discussion that will change how you look at the future, regardless of how bleak it may be!

Learning Objectives:
Objective #1: Understand the lessons learned from recent developments in net zero energy, carbon pricing and financial risk models, and how to apply them to your upcoming projects;
Objective #2: Understand the key financial barriers facing these projects, and how to find creative ways to communicate these opportunities to the owners;
Objective #3: Discover how advances in automation, energy storage, biophilia and climate planning will change how building owners set requirements for their projects;
Objective #4: Learn about innovative strategies being used on current projects to design and build low carbon communities;
Objective #5: Understand and gain experience in co-creating holistic solutions through a collaborative and inclusive process to address systemic barriers to innovation in net-zero building;

About the Presenter:  Eric Corey Freed is an award-winning architect, author, and global speaker. As Sustainability Disruptor for Morrison Hershfield, he identifies solutions to problems most teams didn’t know were holding them back. He was Founding Principal of organicARCHITECT, a visionary design leader in biophilic and regenerative design.
His past roles include Vice President of the International Living Future Institute and Chief Community Officer of EcoDistricts, both nonprofits pushing innovative new paradigms for deep green buildings and communities.

Eric is the author of 11 books, including “Green Building & Remodeling for Dummies.” In 2012, he was named one of the 25 “Best Green Architecture Firms” in the US, and one of the “Top 10 Most Influential Green Architects.” In 2017, he was named one of Build’s American Architecture Top 25. He holds a prestigious LEED Fellow award from the US Green Building Council.

————————————

The Resistance Cookbook: Nasty Women and Bad Hombres in the Kitchen
Friday, August 17
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

Served with a generous helping of humor and seasoned with personal anecdotes, The Resistance Cookbook: Nasty Women and Bad Hombres in the Kitchen gives readers a chance to reflect on the political and cultural changes of the past year, while enjoying such dishes as Comey Testimony Minestrone, Conspiracy Cake with Indictment Icing, and Impeach Mint Mojitos.

The Resistance Cookbook: Nasty Women and Bad Hombres in the Kitchen, edited by Joan Berglund and Pamela Lowell, features 100 recipes contributed by members of Action Together Massachusetts (ATMA), the state-wide social and political action organization born out of the results of the 2016 Presidential election.

All proceeds from The Resistance Cookbook go directly towards ATMA's work to support and empower the activists who are toiling on the front lines of the Resistance every day. Join in cooking up resistance today

——————————
Saturday, August 18
——————————

Native Plants for New England Gardens
Saturday, August 18
10:30 to noon
Cambridge Library, 449 Broadway, Cambridge

Dan Jaffe, coauthor of the book, explains how to create lovely, low-maintenance gardens that support biodiversity and thrive in New England. The book features over 100 native perennials, trees, shrubs, ferns, grasses, and vines with practical info and beautiful color photos. Part of Urban Gardening Series, with speakers from New England Wild Flower Society in partnership with Cambridge Conservation Commission.

—————————————

Fixit Clinic 302 Cambridge Public Library
Saturday, August 18
11 AM - 2 PM
Cambridge Public Library, 449 Broadway, Cambridge
RSVP at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfZclG6YI3221ttofBquYsEqX9ZqkUN-jAFKdOqYcywLLS9Hw/viewform

(OUR MAIN WEBSITE: www.fixitclinic.org, see also https://www.facebook.com/FixitClinic/, https://plus.google.com/+FixitClinic)
It helps us to know in advance what you're bringing and what's wrong with it. And while walk-ins are always welcome, we'll make an effort to give priority to participants who fill out this form in advance.

PLEASE READ: Fixit Clinic is a troubleshooting and discovery workshop where everyone's helping everyone else fix their stuff: you are expected to actively participate in the disassembly, troubleshooting, and repair of your item so that you leave fully empowered to share your new-found confidence and insight with your friends, neighbors, and the community at large.

Bring the broken item with all parts necessary to recreate the symptoms (carry-in only: no oversize items)
Bring any parts and tools you already own that might be helpful (e.g. hand tools, sewing supplies)
Come ready to clearly describe what’s wrong and what you’ve tried
Come eager to learn and to share your skills and knowledge with others

Thanks; and we're looking forward to seeing your smiling face at the Fixit Clinic!

(P.S.: If you'd like to be a Fixit Coach (first timers and fixing families always welcome!) sign up here: http://goo.gl/kwVNlv)

—————————
Sunday August 19
—————————

Fresh Pond: Annual Monarch butterfly release
Sunday, August 19
afternoon
Fresh Pond, Cambridge

Kid-friendly: parade and craft-making. Staff at Fresh Pond have been nurturing Monarchs for years, so come celebrate. Details for this year’s event should be available soon at http://friendsoffreshpond.org/

——————————
Monday, August 20
——————————

Did the Emperor of Morocco Really Father 888 Children?
Monday, August 20
10am
Toscanini’s Ice Cream, 159 First Street, Cambridge

 Marc Abrahams and Gus Rancatore

—————————————

Seaweed Chronicles: A World at the Water's Edge
Monday, August 20
7:00pm
Porter Square Books, 25 White Street, Cambridge

An ancient, and vital, part of nature's ecosystem, seaweed is now emerging as an increasingly important source of food in a world faced with diminishing natural resources.

In Seaweed Chronicles, acclaimed nature writer Susan Hand Shetterly opens a window into the world of this fascinating organism by providing an elegant, often poetic look at life on the rugged shore of the Gulf of Maine. Shetterly offers a close look at the life cycle of seaweed, and introduces us to the men and women who farm and harvest it--and their increasingly difficult task of protecting this critical natural resource against forces both natural and man-made.

Ideal for readers of such books as The Hidden Life of Trees and How to Read Water, Seaweed Chronicles is a beautiful tribute to a little-known part of our country and a significant contribution to our understanding of our natural habitat.

Susan Hand Shetterly is the author of the essay collections Settled in the Wild and The New Year's Owl, as well as several children's books, including Shelterwood, named an Outstanding Science Trade Book for Children by the Children's Book Council. She lives in Maine.

************
——————
Opportunity
----------------
************

MIT Solve Coastal Communities Challenge
How can coastal communities mitigate and adapt to climate change while developing and prospering?
https://solve.mit.edu/challenges/coastal-communities
Challenge deadline July 1, 2018

Challenge Overview
Over 30% of humanity lives near coasts, ranging from massive cities to key ports and naval bases to small islands. The effects of climate change – including sea level rise, stronger storms, ocean warming and acidification – are causing increasing negative impacts on these communities’ lives and livelihoods. For the 600 million people supported by the fishing industry, a majority of them women, overfishing, pollution, and acidification threaten their livelihoods and the fragile ecosystems on which they depend. In cities and elsewhere, some communities already face regular flooding due to higher tides, some will see more frequent natural disasters, and others will see tourist-attracting coral reefs or surfing fade.

Further, as 60% of global GDP and 90% of global trade moves through coasts, increased flooding or damage to port infrastructure poses risks for communities and businesses alike, whether or not they are near the ocean. In addition, coastal and ocean ecosystems absorb 25% of our excess CO2, but are often degraded through coastal development, making climate change harder to mitigate.

While facing numerous impacts, coastal communities from Puerto Rico to Dhaka also have the potential to demonstrate resilient and sustainable ways of living near and with the ocean. Doing so will require people to have access to new technological solutions—along with new ways to envision and enact hard decisions about economies, society, and infrastructure. The Solve community aims to find innovative solutions to support and enhance coastal communities, while mitigating and adapting to climate change. To do so, Solve welcomes solutions from innovators around the world that:

Increase the viability and scale of sustainable economic activity from oceans, ranging from fishing to energy production to tourism
Provide cost-effective infrastructure approaches to improve resilience in the face of increased storm-, sea-, and tidewater
Rebuild or replicate mangroves, corals, and other ecosystems to restore historic functions, including storm surge absorption, carbon uptake, and stable fisheries
Enable coastal communities, governments, and corporations to use data to understand and make complex decisions around sustainable and resilient development

——————————

Announcing Destination 2040: The next long-range transportation plan for the Boston region

How would you improve the Boston region’s transportation system? That’s the question at the heart of the MPO’s preparations for Destination 2040, which the MPO expects to adopt in the spring of 2019.

Every four years, the MPO identifies the system’s strengths and weaknesses; forecasts changes in population, employment, and land use; and creates a plan to address existing and future mobility needs. The resulting long-range transportation plan (LRTP) allocates funding for major projects in the Boston region and guides the MPO’s funding of capital investment programs and studies.

Use the new Destination 2040 website at http://ctps.org/lrtp-dev to explore the state of the system; learn how the MPO will identify needs, revisit its vision and goals, and prioritize its investments; and share your own interests, concerns, and ideas.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Where is the best yogurt on the planet made? Somerville, of course!
Join the Somerville Yogurt Making Cooperative and get a weekly quart of the most thick, creamy, rich and tart yogurt in the world. Members share the responsibility for making yogurt in our kitchen located just outside of Davis Sq. in FirstChurch.  No previous yogurt making experience is necessary.

For more information checkout.
https://somervilleyogurtmakingcoop.wordpress.com

——————————

Free solar electricity analysis for MA residents
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhwM202dDYxdUZJVGFscnY1VGZ3aXc6MQ

Solar map of Cambridge, MA
http://www.mapdwell.com/en/cambridge

———————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the Boston Area:  http://www.BostonScienceLectures.com
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.