[act-ma] Musical History Tour with David Rovics

Bonnie Rovics zenmassage at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:40:25 PDT 2018

David Rovics, songwriter and rabble rouser will be appearing in concert at
the Community Church of Boston Saturday November 3rd at 7:30pm on his
Musical History Tour. Currently working on his one man show of Phil Ochs,
David Rovics is an activist, teacher, writer and musician who's music has
had global impact on people's movements for over 30 years.
His songs have memorialized so many activists, protests, revolutions and
martyrs, given a voice to the unsung hero and been acclaimed by Pete
Seeger, Amy Goodman, Howard Zinn among many others..
We hope you can join us Saturday at 7:30
https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3619742
$15 in advance, $20 at door
, The Community Church of Boston
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Community-Church-of-Boston/618038141604351?eid=ARArr2mBMyxi-meF1hTH4kjwBSod3TUDsqKrdRIDd5LOvKD3RKznSO5YF9-zcVLU9AQkD5n_Qnnlyxas>
565 Boylston St., Boston, Massachusetts 02116,

WHY A MUSICAL HISTORY TOUR?

It seems to me that in order to understand the world we live in now, we
have to know how we got here. In order to have any idea of where we’re
going, we need to know where we’ve been. We need to know our own history —
the history of the social movements, uprisings, invasions, coups, economic
bubbles, stock market crashes and other events that have shaped our
societies and created the world we live in today. The more we know about
key events of the past — often events that the powers-that-be would prefer
we forgot about completely — the more the world around us becomes a
comprehensible place, existing not just in the three dimensions of the
physical world, but in the dimension of time as well.
There are many ways to learn history — ways that can be a lot of fun, as
well as educational. I have a Musical History section of my website
dedicated to using songs as well as prose to introduce people to important
events in world history. With the Musical History Tour, I’ll be taking that
act on the road. Concerts (we can still call them concerts even if I’m
talking more than usual in between the songs) will be appropriate for any
adult or teen audience, and will seek to use historical anecdotes as a
means of addressing the present moment.

SOME EXAMPLES

Refugees: Throughout Europe and North America, they’re calling it a
“refugee crisis.” Did you know that in 1492 the Muslim-led Ottoman Empire
sent its entire fleet to go rescue as many as 800,000 Spanish Jews and
resettle them in Muslim lands, where they lived in peace and prosperity for
hundreds of years? (“1492“) Did you know that most people in the US as well
as Australia are descended from European refugees? (“Before Their Ship
Arrived“) Did you know that the US didn’t lift its quota on Jewish and
other eastern European refugees until 1944 — five years into World War II
and the Nazi Holocaust? (“Send Them Back“)
Child Migrants: The children and adults at the Mexican border are also
refugees. Did you know that the United States government sponsored a
military coup in Honduras in 2009 that has caused the country to become one
of the most violent places on Earth? Did you know that the US also
violently overthrew the democratically-elected governments of Iran in 1953
and Guatemala in 1954? (“US Embassy“)
Immigration: Many politicians and media pundits talk about “illegal
immigrants.” Did you know that before 1964, Mexicans were free to cross the
US border anytime? (“No One Is Illegal,” “Guanajuato“)
Trade Wars: Between Trump’s US and the rest of the world, the trade war is
on. The original trade war — the Opium War that began in 1839 — involved
troops from Britain, France, Russia and the US, and involved the deaths of
tens of thousands of Chinese people, ultimately forcing China to “open its
economy” — to an addictive drug being forced down the throat of the nation
via naval bombardment and fire. (“Trade War“)
Lots more examples…
-David Rovics, songwriter and rabble rouser

--
Bonnie Rovics, OBT/LMT
Deep Touch Massage and BodyPlayWorkshops