[act-ma] 7/5 - FridayStrike4ClimateAction

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Mon Jul 1 18:31:34 PDT 2019

Please note that I am merely passing this information along as I haven’t seen it previously on act-ma and thought the readership might want to know.  Contact https://www.facebook.com/events/437329133495381/ for more about these activities.

FridayStrike4ClimateAction
Friday, July 5 (and every Friday throughout the summer)
4:45 - 6:00 pm
Alewife Train Station
More information at https://www.facebook.com/events/437329133495381/

Greta Thunberg has given me renewed hope that humanity will be moved to action one of these years, and slow the rapid extinction of all living things, a pace which we, as humans, have set in motion and continue to accelerate at our own peril.

I would like to encourage the young and older to join in Greta’s #FridaysforFuture #SchoolStrike4Climate action, here, in the Boston burbs.

I propose that we gather every Friday at rush hour, in solidarity with students around the world, and #Strike4ClimateAction in front of Alewife Station.  In order to maximize participation, I wish to know if students and others would prefer to protest in the morning or the afternoon.  I propose that we assemble all summer from 4:45 - 6:00 pm, unless there is a Global or National Climate Strike event scheduled.

Participants can access the venue via the Minuteman bike path, the MBTA Red Line and bus routes. I hope that people come from school and work, from Boston, Somerville, Cambridge, Arlington, Lexingon, Belmont…. I hope that striking students organize bicycle brigades, pedestrian parades, attention-grabbing art, motivating music, chants for change.  I hope that “the grown-ups” take notice, and amplify the message. Words are not enough. The warnings have not been heeded. Global Economic policy priorities must change, now. We are fighting for our future, now. This is an escalating emergency right now, and every day that goes by without action is another lost opportunity to reverse course and steer our destructive ways towards stewardship.

I hope to see you this coming Friday.
No ghGas 4 Mass