[act-ma] 10/03 Rally for driver's licenses for undocumented MA residents (Thu 5pm)

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Oct 1 12:50:44 PDT 2019

Licenses for All Rally: Licenses Can't Wait!
(organized by Never Again Action & Cosecha Massachusetts)

Thursday, October 3rd
5:00-6:30pm
Massachusetts State House
24 Beacon St.
Boston, MA

https://www.facebook.com/events/2556182637771684/

***

Join the immigrant community and allies outside the State House to
demand that legislators follow through on their promises to protect
immigrants in the state of Massachusetts! The undocumented community has
been fighting for drivers licenses for 15 years and have STILL not seen
lawmakers deliver on promises to grant access to licenses to all
residents regardless of immigration status.

Earlier this month, we celebrated a quinceañera to "celebrate" the 15
years of fighting for this right, and we have been delivering birthday
cake to lawmakers in the weeks since. This rally marks the 15th piece of
cake we’ll be delivering to statehouse, one for every year the immigrant
community has waited for licenses. We can no longer accept silence on
this issue and we will not rest until the undocumented community can
access legal drivers' licenses.

Driving without a license is a necessity for many in the immigrant
community, to do basic things like take their children to school, buy
groceries and get to work. Driving without a license means that people
live in daily fear of being stopped by the police for something as
simple as a broken tail light and it leading to detention and
deportation. Fourteen other states along with DC and Puerto Rico have
already passed laws allowing undocumented community to carry drivers
licenses.

This is a Cosecha Massachusetts action, with support by Never Again
Action. All are welcome — immigrants, Jews, and allies.

Accessibility info:
* We’ll be standing for 1.5 hours on a level concrete surface
* We will have some folding chairs directly in front of the speakers as
well as spaces reserved for wheelchair users
*We will have speakers amplified through a sound system
* We will provide live interpretation in English and Spanish

Parking options:
* Some 2 hour spots in Beacon Hill (some is permit parking, but some
have meters)
* Parking garages but cost $$
* Park near Sullivan Station for $7 (or surrounding streets for free)
and take Orange Line in

** Best address for Lyft/Uber/The Ride drop-offs: 24 Beacon St.

If you have any accessibility needs or concerns, please contact
neveragainbostonaccessibility at gmail.com.