[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events - December 22, 2019

gmoke gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Dec 22 10:43:47 PST 2019

Happy Merry New and Bah Humbug to all!

—————————

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

What I Do and Why I Do It:  The Story of Energy (and Other) EventsGeo
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com/2013/11/what-i-do-and-why-i-do-it.html

Details of these events are available when you scroll past the index

******
———
———
******

————————————
Thursday, December 26
————————————

6pm  Boston Climate Action Network - Action Team Meeting

———————————
Tuesday, December 31
———————————

4:45pm  Extinction Rebellion at the First Night Puppet Parade

————————————
Monday, January 6, 2020
————————————

7pm  Long Now Boston FLASH TALKS 02020 | Call for proposals

——————————
Tuesday, January 7
——————————

9am  TEDxBeaconStreetSalon:  Healthcare USA
5:45pm  The politics of defense spending: science, profits, and endless wars
7pm  The Stars in Our Pockets:  Getting Lost and Sometimes Found in the Digital Age

My rough notes on some of the events I go to and notes on books I’ve read are at:
http://hubeventsnotes.blogspot.com

What I Read in the Green new Deal for Public Housing Bill
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/12/17/1906361/-What-I-Read-in-the-Green-New-Deal-for-Public-Housing-Bill

————————————
Thursday, December 26
————————————

Boston Climate Action Network - Action Team Meeting
Thursday, December 26
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM EST
First Baptist Church, 633 Centre Street, Jamaica Plain
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/boston-climate-action-network-action-team-meeting-tickets-54297161271

We're working towards fighting climate change through improved energy policy and education at the local level in Boston. The BCAN Action Team meeting is a great way to get directly involved in the effort to combat climate change in the era of Trump. We gather twice per month on the 2nd and 4th Thursday from 6:00-8pm at First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain.

———————————
Tuesday, December 31
———————————

Extinction Rebellion at the First Night Puppet Parade
Tuesday, December 31
4:45 p.m.
The Puppet Free Library 15 Public Ally 437, Boston

Extinction Rebellion will be part of the Boston First Night Puppet Parade with our large Green Elk Spirit puppets and XR flags.

*****************
----------------------
Upcoming Events
----------------------
*****************

————————————
Monday, January 6, 2020
————————————

Long Now Boston FLASH TALKS 02020 | Call for proposals
Monday, January 6, 2020
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
The Venture Cafe at the Cambridge Innovation Center, One Broadway, 5th Floor, Kendall Square, CambridgeCheck in at the CIC desk in the lobby, they point you to the elevators for the 5th floor.

Calling all members! Bring your 20/20 vision to the task of determining how the world should be in the future, and what we need to do to get there! Tell us about one important aspect of our future society, something relating to science, technology, culture, personal life, or the environment, perhaps something specific to the Boston area, that you hope will happen. Imagine what this would be like for your great-great-grandchildren (about 100 years out!). Tell us why you think this is possible. What do we need to do now if we want to make this future a reality?

INVITATION:
On January 6, 02020, Long Now Boston will host its Second Annual FLASH TALK FOR MEMBERS, starting at 7PM at the CIC Venture Café in Kendall Square. The event will be FREE and open to the public.

FLASH TALK proposals are due December 5 by email to: ggantz at longnowboston.org. Proposals will be screened using the Guidelines below. Up to six (6) will be selected for presentation on January 6. That night, the audience will be asked to vote for their favorite – the winning entry will be awarded a $100 prize voucher towards Long Now Boston events or membership. All presenters will receive 2 free admissions to Long Now Boston Conversation events in 02020. Long Now Boston Steering Committee members may submit a proposal but may not vote on their proposal and will not be eligible for the $100 prize.

GUIDELINES:
1. Contestants must be signed up at the Long Now Boston MeetUp Group or on the Long Now Boston website mailing list.
2. Proposals must be submitted to ggantz at longnowboston.org no later than midnight on Wednesday December 4, and must contain the following:
a. Name, email, phone, and a short bio (max 100 words) indicating your occupation and/or avocation.
b. A FLASH TALK Title.
c. A one-paragraph summary (max 200 words) of your proposed Talk. Please provide cites to any references or sources (citations are not included in the 200-word limit).
3. FLASH TALK concepts should be original, interesting and designed to provoke discussion on science, technology, culture, personal life, or the environment. They should fall within the purview of the title and introduction above.
4. Proposals will be evaluated by members of the Long Now Boston Steering Committee. Those selected for presentation on January 6th will be contacted by email no later than Monday December 9. Contestants will be asked to give their permission for event promotion and for recording their FLASH TALK.
5. FLASH TALK presentations will be limited to 5 minutes. This will be strictly enforced. Slides are encouraged but will be limited to three (slide builds and short videos are OK) and must be submitted by December 30. A Q&A period of up to 5 minutes will follow each presentation.
6. Audience members will be asked to vote for their favorite presentation at the end of the presentations.
7. FLASH TALK presenters will join a final panel conversation and Q&A to close out the evening.

We welcome your participation in an exciting Long Now Boston evening to share interesting ideas and be part of a lively discussion!

Note: there is no ticket charge for this event. Bring friends to vote on the presentations and learn more about Long Now Boston. Register for tickets here, but submission of talks is the separate process described above. You do not have to be presenting to get a ticket here.

——————————
Tuesday, January 7
——————————

TEDxBeaconStreetSalon:  Healthcare USA
Tuesday, January 7
9 am–1 pm
Boston Medical School, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston
RSVP at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tedxbeaconstreetsalon-boston-medical-center-registration-81078964365

Healthcare USA presents a panel of highly distinguished physicians, medical researchers, policymakers, administrators and patient advocates who will present a thorough, balanced and inspiring survey of the current state of the US healthcare system. Audience will learn about what lifelong trauma victims endure after the gunshot, how open source medical research is transforming and accelerating advances in treatment, cure and prevention of disease, steps being taken to contain the rapid rise in healthcare costs, the ways that healthcare providers are improving outcomes and quality of life, and many more engaging and motivating topics. Healthcare USA promises to inform and engage healthcare professionals, public and policymakers alike to understand where we are today, and the great achievements that will shape our healthcare system for decades to come.

——————————————

The politics of defense spending: science, profits, and endless wars
Tuesday, January 7
5:45PM-7:00PM
MIT, Building 2-105, 182 Memorial Drive (Rear), Cambridge

Subrata Ghoshroy, Research Affiliate
Prereq: An interest in science, militarism, foreign policy, gov't
After the end of World War II, U.S. embarked upon a policy to spend large sums of money for defense. It was a two-pronged strategy to at once fight communism, and spur economic growth. A big part of the defense budget was for weapons R&D in order to gain a "technology-edge" over the USSR. The strategy continues nearly 30 years after the Cold War ended. Today, the U.S. defense budget is over $700 billion per year, which is more than the combined spending of the next ten nations. It includes more than $80 billion for weapons R&D. An unfathomable $1-trillion will be spent on nuclear weapons modernization over the next 30 years, shortchanging research on climate change, e.g., and many other social needs. The course will present a brief history of the "military-indistrial complex," the defense budget and associated politics, profits and waste in weapons R&D,  whistleblowing, and the endless wars. In recent years "Artificial Intelligence" (AI) has become a focus of attention for governments, the media and universities.  Iin his guest lecture, Yarden Katz will discuss the forces behind the so-called AI “revolution” - who profits from its various narratives and how. He is a Fellow in Systems Biology at Harvard Medical School, and received a PhD in neuroscience from MIT in 2014.
The sessions:
1/7 The politics of defense spending
1/14 Artificial Intelligence (AI): hype and reality  (Guest Lecture by Yarden Katz, Harvard)
1/21 Defense R&D: science, profits, waste, and whistle blowing

Sponsor(s): Science, Technology, and Society
Contact: Subrata Ghoshroy, E51-296, 617 253-3846, GHOSHROY at MIT.EDU

—————————————

The Stars in Our Pockets:  Getting Lost and Sometimes Found in the Digital Age
Tuesday January 7
7:00 pm
Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard Street, Brookline

What shapes our sense of place, our sense of time, and our memory? How is technology changing the way we make sense of the world and of ourselves? As we navigate the rapid shifts between the physical and digital realms, what traits are we trading without being aware of it?

The Stars in Our Pockets is a personal and profound reminder of the world around us and the worlds within us–and how, as alienated as we may sometimes feel, they were made for each other.

Howard Axelrod is the author of The Point of Vanishing: A Memoir of Two Years in Solitude, named one of the best books of 2015 by Slate, the Chicago Tribune, and Entropy Magazine, and one of the best memoirs of 2015 by Library Journal. His essays have appeared in the New York Times Magazine, O Magazine, Politico, Salon, the Virginia Quarterly Review, and the Boston Globe. He has taught at Harvard, the University of Arizona, and is currently the director of the Creative Writing Program at Loyola University in Chicago. Connect with him at howardaxelrod.com.

*********
------------
Resource
------------
*********

Environmental Voter Project's Spring Internship Program is now accepting applications at https://www.environmentalvoter.org/jobs/intern

Can you help us spread the word by forwarding this email to anybody who might be interested in joining us this winter/spring?

Located in our Boston office, our Spring Internship Program is great for anybody who's interested in learning more about environmental politics, cutting-edge voter turnout techniques, and data analytics.

All interested parties are encouraged to apply.

Click here for more information and details on how to apply.

————————————

Science for the People seeks proposals for articles, art, and other content for the upcoming issue, “A People’s Green New Deal” (Volume 23, Number 2, Summer 2020).   Deadline for submissions: Friday, January 10, 2020.

More information at https://magazine.scienceforthepeople.org/submissions/

————————————

Living With Heat - Urban Land Institute report on expected climate impact in Boston
https://boston.uli.org/about/impact/

————————————

Solar bills on Beacon Hill: The Climate Minute Podcast
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cs87v-b6dbac

————————————

Envision Cambridge citywide plan
https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/News/2019/5/~/media/A0547DC0640E4ABD86B519CA6FEEFF38.ashx

——————————

Climate Resilience Workbook
https://sustainablebuildingsinitiative.org/toolkits/climate-resilience-guidelines/climate-resilience-workbook

——————————

Sustainable Business Network Local Green Guide
SBN is excited to announce the soft launch of its new Local Green Guide, Massachusetts' premier Green Business Directory!
To view the directory please visit: http://www.localgreenguide.org
To find out how how your business can be listed on the website or for sponsorship opportunities please contact Adritha at adritha at sbnboston.org

————————————

Boston Food System
"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships, programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."
The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food, farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health, environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on week-to-week is not always well publicized.
Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

———————————

The Boston Network for International Development (BNID) maintains a website (BNID.org) that serves as a clearing-house for information on organizations, events, and jobs related to international development in the Boston area. BNID has played an important auxiliary role in fostering international development activities in the Boston area, as witnessed by the expanding content of the site and a significant growth in the number of users.
The website contains:
A calendar of Boston area events and volunteer opportunities related to International Development - http://www.bnid.org/events
A jobs board that includes both internships and full time positions related to International Development that is updated daily - http://www.bnid.org/jobs
A directory and descriptions of more than 250 Boston-area organizations - http://www.bnid.org/organizations
Also, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (we promise only one email per week) to get the most up-to-date information on new job and internship opportunities -www.bnid.org/sign-up
The website is completely free for students and our goal is to help connect students who are interested in international development with many of the worthwhile organizations in the area.
Please feel free to email our organization at info at bnid.org if you have any questions!

——————————

Boston Maker Spaces - 41 (up from 27 in 2016) and counting:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGHnt9r2pQx8.kfw9evrHsKjA&hl=en
Solidarity Network Economy:  https://ussolidarityeconomy.wordpress.com
Bostonsmart.com's Guide to Boston:  http://www.bostonsmarts.com/BostonGuide/

———————————————————————————

Links to events at over 50 colleges and universities at Hubevents:  http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to
MIT Events:  http://calendar.mit.edu
Harvard Events:  http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/harvard-events/events-calendar/
Harvard Environment:  http://environment.harvard.edu/events/calendar/
Sustainability at Harvard:  http://green.harvard.edu/events
Boston Science Lectures:  https://sites.google.com/view/bostonsciencelectures/home
Meetup:  http://www.meetup.com/
Eventbrite:  http://www.eventbrite.com/
Startup and Entrepreneurial Events:  http://www.greenhornconnect.com/events/
Cambridge Civic Journal:  http://www.rwinters.com
Cambridge Happenings:   http://cambridgehappenings.org
Cambridge Community Calendar:  https://www.cctvcambridge.org/calendar
Adam Gaffin’s Universal Hub:  https://www.universalhub.com/
Extinction Rebellion:  https://xrmass.org/action/
Sunrise Movement:  https://www.facebook.com/SunriseBoston/events/

Mission-Based Massachusetts is an online discussion group for people who are interested in nonprofit, philanthropic, educational, community-based, grassroots, and other mission-based organizations in the Bay State. This is a moderated, flame-free email list that is open to anyone who is interested in the topic and willing to adhere to the principles of civil discourse. To subscribe email
mbm-SUBSCRIBE at missionbasedmassachusetts.net

If you have an event you would like to see here, the submission deadline is 11 AM on Sundays, as Energy (and Other) Events is sent out Sunday afternoons.