[act-ma] 3/4: Youth Activism in the 'Burbs!

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Tue Feb 27 10:54:33 PST 2007

THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
SUNDAY SPEAKERS FORUM presents...

Sunday, March 4, 2007 at 11:00am

SETH KIRSHBAUM & CHRISTOPHER MESSINGER
"The Suburbs as a Place for Justice: Youth Activism in the 'Burbs!"

at Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston St. (Copley Square)
www.commchurch.org

*************

While often looked at as a place of apathy the suburbs also present a great
opportunity for organizing young people.  Seth, Chris, and others will tell
stories of the birth of their new organizing initiative.  They will also
discuss metropolitanism, sub/urban divides, outreach, faith-based
organizing, regional networking, and their organizational affiliations with
us.  This is an opportunity for the congregation to learn about assorted
ways to be involved with this new program from intergenerational events to
serving as a youth mentor.

*************

NEXT WEEK'S COMMUNITY CHURCH FORUM (3/11)

Observing International Women's Day
NAVARASA DANCE THEATER
"A Story and a Song"

*************

SHARE THE MORNING WITH US

10:00am Coffee, Tea and Bagels
11:00am Sunday Speakers Forum
12:30pm Luncheon

*************

CHILDREN & YOUTH: A NEW SOCIAL JUSTICE PROGRAM

We are proud to announce that, beginning on Sundays in early 2007, the
Community Church of Boston will initiate a new Social Justice Education
Program for children and young people. The Program is being developed for a
mixed-age group of children/youth ages 6-15, and will seek to actively
create a social justice community of, by and for young people in the Boston
area.  Visit our website to learn more about the Social Justice Education
Program, or contact the church's Congregational Director, Jason Lydon, at
(617) 266-6710 if you have questions or would like to get involved.

Until the Social Justice Education Program begins, the church has a
comfortable space on its 2nd floor where parents and caregivers can be with
their children during the Sunday Service & Forum. The space includes books,
games, arts/crafts, etc.. Please speak with Jason Lydon at (617) 266-6710
should you have specific childcare needs.

*************

COMMUNITY LUNCHEON

After the Sunday Speakers Forum we share lunch with one another, prepared by
Luis Alonso Guzman. We ask for and appreciate your contribution, which helps
cover luncheon expenses.

*************

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets. Parking is available on Sunday
mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on Clarendon Street or St. James
Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to your parking receipt and you
will be charged only $3 until 1:30pm.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-4 minute walk from either
station.

*************

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community of human beings united
for the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical
ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to
all forms of social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Jason Lydon, Congregational Director
Community Church of Boston