[act-ma] 3/24 Volunteers Needed for Antiwar rally

Stop the Wars Coalition info at stopthewars.org
Tue Mar 20 21:28:14 PDT 2007

*M24 VOLUNTEERS NEEDED*

* *

*_VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR PEACEKEEPERS_*

Peacekeepers

Volunteers are needed to provide security for the rally and to assist in
coordinating the march.

Contact Elisabeth Leonard elisa_02128 at yahoo.com
<mailto:elisa_02128 at yahoo.com> or David Kiel dmkeil at gmail.com
<mailto:dmkeil at gmail.com>

*_VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR SET-UP/BREAKDOWN_*

Set-up

People are needed starting at 8:30AM on Saturday at both Encuentro5 and
the Common. We will need to take a couple of trips back and forth to
move supplies.

Also, we need help setting up the Bandstand, Open Stage and the P&J Fair.

Breakdown

The above in reverse starting at 5:00PM

Throughout the Day

Volunteers will also be needed throughout the day for various tasks.
Karen Slater slateraid at hotmail.com
<http://by107fd.bay107.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/addresses?&curmbox=00000000%2d0000%2d0000%2d0000%2d000000000001&a=6896b9e6a440ceffca66463c2a758a1771a256403e35c5b691778a7a9ff77028##>
will be coordinating volunteers on the 24^th .

*_Other Volunteer Opportunities_*

*_VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO SET UP SOUND AND TO BEAR LIGHTWEIGHT HORNS IN MARCH_*

Horn Carriers

I am looking for two to five people to carry speakers in the march. The
SoniKart is expected to be at the head of the march, and it will amplify
chants and logistical directions.

Gaining the sonic reach of which the SoniKart is capable means lofting
some horns six to eight feet in the air. The horns weigh about three
pounds, and would be super-easy to handle using a flag-bearer's harness,
or something modified to serve for this task. A simple pole is the
version now in use.

A Bit of Proud Peacenik History

In the 1960's. responding to police harassment, Sound Engineer Brad
Little invented a way to provide pig-proof sound at marches and rallies.
He built a low voltage amplifier (not so easy then) and mounted some
J.B.L horns on helmets worn...you guessed it right?  ...on people's
heads!  Well, after the Boston cops stole the SoniKart outside the
Cheney fund raiser, and the court found against them (...and as I'm
filing suit against the city in response,) we don't need to be quite so
Krazee.

But we did borrow one thing from Brad Little's helmet scheme... we will
be using the same light and efficient University IBA-8 horns that
Woodstock Sound Engineer Bill Hanley tells me were used by Brad Little.

Make it Really Loud!

I'd also like to get the "bigass" 20" horn up in the air. It's a 75 Watt
piece weighing about ten pounds. Here's a photo:
http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid29700.aspx

Please think about your friends who might like to help.

Please check in with me <jeff at freemanz.com> if you can carry a horn or
make harnesses (...or horny-helmets!)

*_VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR PUPPETS_*

Puppetistas! We are planning a big puppet contingent for the march at 2pm and we

will need hands to carry all the giant puppets, so we are going to meet to pass them out at 1:30 near the visitor info center on the Common.