[act-ma] 4/4 Support Campus Workers vs. Harvard!

Michael GW mgould at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 2 22:07:30 PDT 2007

              JUSTICE, RESPECT, AND EQUALITY FOR CAMPUS WORKERS

On the anniversary of King's assassination, and the National Day of Action,
join us for a Rally, March, and Action for Workers' Rights at Harvard

                      ---------------------------------
                     | This Wednesday. April 4, 2006.  |
                     |             2:30 PM             |
                     | Holyoke Center. By Harvard Sq T |
                      ---------------------------------

       ... Stand against poverty, disrespect, and racism at work ...
       ... Stand against ethnic and age discrimination on campus ...
       ... Support guards, biolab & library workers in struggle  ...

Join workers, students, and community members to demand justice, respect, and
equality for Black, Latino, and all workers at Harvard University.

If you can't make it to Harvard, call in or email the President and let him
know how you feel: (617) 495-1502 and derek_bok at harvard.edu

Every year from March 31 to April 4, students and workers around the country
unite for the National Student-Labor Week of Action. The week starts on March
31st, Cesar Chavez Day, to honor the Chicano labor activist and ends on April
4th, the day that Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, where he
had traveled to stand with Black sanitation workers.

         The struggle of Black and Latino workers continues today.
                     Right here at Harvard University.

* This Wednesday, stand with security guards, who are organizing as part of the
largest campaign of Black workers in Massachusetts history. This winter, after
years of union-busting, the guards finally won the union they wanted.
We marched with them to that victory, and now, we are marching again as they
negotiate their first contract with Harvard's rich contractor, AlliedBarton.

Stand with the guards to demand dignity and respect, stable jobs, living wages
and benefits. At the richest university in the world, these guards can barely
afford to care for their families on $12.67 an hour. They are making more than
$5 less than guards at other area universities.

* Stand with Latino and Latina workers at the Harvard Biolabs, who are fighting
against rampant ethnic discrimination on the job, physical attacks,
English-only policies, and threats of discriminatory layoffs.

Last fall, workers and students let it be known that this racism, disrespect,
and exploitation would not be tolerated. Harvard administrators promised to
address the issue. They did not. Workers report escalating instances of
discrimination and retaliation, and more threats of layoffs.

* Stand with workers At Widener Library, where discrimination has proliferated
on the basis of age and gender. Managers are targeting and terminating workers
like Liliana Krysiak, a Harvard employee with nearly 40 years of experience,
just 2 years before being allowed her full pension.

Stand with all these workers, as we say Ya Basta! Enough is enough! Poverty and
racism, disrespect and discrimination, have no place on campus, no place in
Cambridge and Allston communities, no place anywhere. Join us to protest on
Wednesday, jam the Harvard president's phones, and tell all your friends.

Endorsed by Harvard Student Labor Action Movement (SLAM), Harvard Coalition
for Respect and Equality at Work (HCREW), Service Employees International
Union (SEIU) Local 615, Reform HUCTW, Allston-Brighton Popular Assembly,
Boston Student Labor Action Project, Massachusetts Jobs with Justice & more.