[act-ma] 4/14 One Earth, One Climate Rally: Step It Up [Sat]

Alexander Alexander at Southendpress.org
Wed Apr 11 13:39:45 PDT 2007

Take action against climate change!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

April 14, Boston Common, 2pm (and earlier in your neighborhood)

"To me the question of the environment is more ominous than that of peace and war...I'm more worried about global warming than I am of any major military conflict."

-UN Weapons Inspector Hans Blix

We need to reduce our carbon emissions and we need to start today. Join with other Boston area residents on April 14 on the Boston Common for the One Earth, One Climate Rally to demand that Congress reduce carbon emissions 80% by 2050. One Earth, One Climate is part of Step It Up a nationwide campaign with more than 1,000 rallies taking place in all 50 states.

Dozens of events will be held in the greater Boston area, with neighborhood events in the morning and culminating in the 2pm One Earth, One Climate Rally on the Boston Common.

As part of the rally, children and adults will form a human chain across Boston Common to mark what may become Boston's future waterfront, if polar and glacial melting continues unchecked. The One Earth, One Climate Rally will attract students from dozens of schools around greater Boston, as well as college students from campuses throughout the area.

Live music will be performed by The Chad Hollister Band and the Boston-based Inspirational Freedom Choir, and young people will help perform an original song written for the occasion. Remarks will be provided by community activists, youth leaders and climate change experts, including Union of Concerned Scientists President Kevin Knobloch, author Ross Gelbspan and Paul Epstein, M.D., of Harvard Medical School's Center for Health and the Global Environment. Political leaders Congressional Representative Ed Markey and Boston City Councilor Felix Arroyo will also speak.

"The groundswell of support for this effort is incredible.  This is truly a grassroots movement, organized mainly through word of mouth, email outreach among friends, and the online community." said author and Step it Up founder, Bill McKibben. "The enormous participation in today's movement is a wake-up call to legislators from across the country.  Their constituents are urgently demanding that America get on the path towards reducing carbon emissions before it is too late."

The event is sponsored by the Boston Climate Action Network, Step It Up Boston, Union of Concerned Scientists and Urban Ecology Institute with financial support from Westfield Capital Management Company and Rhythm and Muse Bookstore in Jamaica Plain. Rally cosponsors include the Appalachian Mountain Club, Big Sister Association of Greater Boston, Clean Water Action, Conservation Law Foundation, Energy Consumers Alliance of New England, Environment Massachusetts (MASSPIRG), Environmental League of Massachusetts, HighMark Land Design, Massachusetts Audubon Society, Massachusetts Climate Action Network, MIT Share a Vital Earth (SAVE), New England Aquarium, and Somerville Climate Action.

For more information (and details of neighborhood events), visit  <http://www.stepitupboston.com/> www.stepitupboston.com and www.stepitup2007.org <http://www.stepitup2007.org/> .

How to Stop the Planet From Burning

We know that climate change is happening. We know that it could, if the worst predictions come true, destroy the conditions which make human life possible.

Only one question is now worth asking: CAN IT BE STOPPED?

In HEAT <http://southendpress.org/2007/items/87798> , George Monbiot shows it can.