[act-ma] Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment with John Seed

Vivienne Simon vivsimon at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 26 09:01:28 PDT 2007

CLIMATE CHANGE, DESPAIR & EMPOWERMENT ROAD SHOW WITH JOHN SEED

The reality of climate change can make us feel overwhelmed and can fill
us with fear or despair.   This road show with Australian deep
ecologist international rainforest activist John Seed aims to catalyze,
invigorate, and support grassroots climate study/action groups across
North America.

This roadshow will assume that most people attending have seen An
Inconvenient Truth, are aware of current news and are  concerned about
the issue. It will address the hopeless despair that many of us feel
and provide tools to transform despair into empowerment and effective
action.  This will be based on the Despair & Empowerment work of Joanna
Macy and the "Climate Change, Despair and Empowerment" talk which John
Seed gave in Massachusetts last year with Pullitzer Prize winning
journalist Ross Gelbspan.

*  There will be a discussion on the role of the denial of feelings of
helplessness and despair in making us feel helpless, hopeless,
paralysed, what can one person do anyway, its too late etc etc. This
addresses Gore's insight that many people move straight from denial to
hopeless despair about this issue without leaving any space in between
for effective action. (see
www.rainforestinfo.org.au/deep-eco/cabmourn.htm for a more general
version of this argument).

*  Where no climate study/action group currently exists, the group will
be invited to form one there and then. If one already exists,
representatives from the group will be invited to give an update on
their group's direction, meetings etc. We will discuss the importance
of direct democracy and grassroots and that each of us now needs to
awaken those around us to the urgency of understanding and action. US
Supreme Court Justice Brandeis, 1930: "The most important office of
government is citizen."

* Open a discussion on local initatives and local directions

* Invite people to host "house parties", invite their friends to watch
DVDs, build the network, discuss solutions and spread word of the
climate study/action groups. Two DVDs are being offered for free to
anybody who wishes to host these events: 1) Boiling Point by Ross
Gelbspan - Pulitzer prize winning journalist Gelbspan makes a
compelling presentation on global warmiing and some broad sweeping
solutions; 2) Climate Change Despair & Empowerment with Ross Gelbspan
and John Seed - recorded in Massachusetts, Gelbspan speaking on climate
change and John Seed speaking on despair & empowerment followed by
questions and answers.

* an invitation to the upcoming "Climate Change, Despair and
Empowerment" 1-day workshops May 12 & 13

May 9 "Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment" presentation 7pm, 2nd
Congregational Church, Greenfield MA  - contact
deborahandrew at earthlink.net

May 10 "Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment" presentation lunchtime,
UMass, Amherst - contact jchenell at student.umass.edu

May 10 "Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment" presentation 7 pm, First
Parish Church, Cambridge MA -  contact randers at cambridgema.gov

May 11 "Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment" presentation Amesbury MA
-  contact CDATHOME at aol.com

May 13 Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment" presentation 7 p.m.,
Unitarian Universalist Society, Northampton MA -  contact
tclarke at cleanwater.org

May 9 @ 7pm, 2nd Congregational Church, Greenfield MA

May 10 @ 12-2:00 pm, Student Union building room 168C on the basement
level contact

May 10 @ 7:00 pm, First Parish Church, Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA

May 11 @ 6 pm, Unity on the River, Amesbury MA

May 13 @ 7 pm,  Friends Meeting, 43 Center Street, Northampton MA

MAY 12-13: CLIMATE, DESPAIR & EMPOWERMENT 1-DAY WORKSHOPS,  Earthlands,
Petersham,  MA
contact frankdeitle at earthlands.org

These workshops will be offering experiential processes that generate
empowerment as follows:

Day 1: In "Climate Change, Despair & Empowerment"

Saturday, May 12

Through Joanna Macy's body of work known as "despair and empowerment"
(see her book "Coming Back to Life", http://www.joannamacy.net and
http://www.rainforestinfo.org.au/deep-eco/cabmourn.htm ) we allow
ourselves to recognise our feelings about what is happening to our
world. By acknowledging this level of our being rather than just our
thoughts on the subject, people around the world have found that
feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, "what can one person do
anyway?", "It's all to late" etc are transformed into inspired and
empowered positive action.

Day 2: "The Timeline of Light"

Sunday, May 13

Through processes which nourish our vast ecological identity, we expand
from the narrow confines of our social identity to experience our
ancient ecological heritage, that every cell in our body is descended
in an unbroken chain from the first cell of life. Then our kinship with
all of life shines through the fog of civilisation and rooted in the
history of Earth and in the living Earth itself, we seek wisdom and
clear thinking on our role as we and our fellow beings face the crisis
of global warming.

*Workshop Pre-registration Required: lucindaramsey at earthlands.org
978-724-3428

John Seed is an internationally known rainforest activist who founded
the Rainforest Information Centre in Australia. Since 1979 he has been
involved in the direct actions which have resulted in the protection of
the rainforests worldwide. He has written and lectured extensively on
deep ecology and has been conducting Councils of All Beings and other
re-Earth ing workshops all over the world. With Joanna Macy, Pat
Fleming and Professor Arne Naess, he wrote "Thinking Like a Mountain -
Towards a Council of All Beings" (New Society Publishers) which has now
been translated into 10 languages. He is an accomplished bard and
songwriter and since 1981 has produced 5 albums of environmental songs.
John is a Fellow of the Findhorn Foundation and occasional
Scholar-in-Residence at the Esalen Institute.