[act-ma] 5/15 Tue, 7pm, James Carroll "How We Got Into the War on Iraq"

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Mon May 14 10:45:47 PDT 2007

"Like slavery before it, war as a legitimate activity can be left behind,
and with it the prospect of nuclear war...

How briefly on the earth we are. Too briefly, I insist, not to find another
way to live than by killing. More
than for my parents, I have written this book, in love, for my children. And
for everyone's. Let us cherish
their future." from James Carroll: House of War, The Pentagon and the
Disastrous Rise of Military Power.

Come see James Carroll, Tuesday evening, 7pm, All Saints Church in
Brookline, info below.
Discussion, book signing and birthday celebration for Brookline PeaceWorks!

Boston Globe Columnist,
National Book Award Winner, Peace Advocate
James Carroll
                   Tuesday May 15
                          7 pm
                                                   All Saints Church
                                                   1773 Beacon, Brookline
                                                       Corner of Beacon and
Dean Road

Cleveland Circle Green line T

Free, contributions appreciated

How We Got Into the War on IRAQ

Based on his newly released book
House Of War
The Pentagon and the Disastrous Rise of American Power

He argues that "in the nuclear age, civilian oversight of
American military policy had become largely mythical," that the
Pentagon had "Congress in its thrall and presidents at its mercy."

...today, though we no longer face an enemy that poses an
existential threat to the nation, we're needlessly maintaining a
military force that is more dangerous than any other force in
the world, capable of instantly destroying all life on the planet.

...we have not begun to reckon at all with the nonsense of
American policies toward nuclear weapons today -- the fact that
we're resuming their production even now, that we continue to
threaten their use even now.

How can these questions be so unreckoned with?"

                            Meet James Carroll, Discussion
 Book signing. Birthday cake celebrating PeaceWorks'
 five years of antiwar activism
peace at texnology.com
617 738-8029