[act-ma] 5/16: Afro-Punk (WED)

LPC Radical Films dubious_battle at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 23:54:44 PDT 2007

Afro-Punk
Free Screening

Wednesday, May 16
7pm

Afro-Punk, a 66-minute documentary, explores race
identity within the punk scene. More than your
everyday, Behind the Music or typical "black history
month" documentary this film tackles the hard
questions, such as issues of  loneliness, exile,
inter-racial dating and black power. We follow the
lives of four people who have dedicated themselves to
the punk rock lifestyle. They find themselves in
conflicting situations, living the dual life of a
person of color in a mostly white community.

The style of the documentary inter-cuts interviews
from scores of black punk rockers from all over the
nation with scenes from our four protagonists' lives.
They come from different regions, generations,
genders, and sexual preferences but their stories are
amazingly similar.

Afro-Punk features performances by Bad Brains, Tamar
Kali, Cipher, and Ten Grand. It also contains
exclusive interviews by members of Fishbone, 247-
spyz, Dead Kennedys, Candiria, Orange 9mm and TV on
the Radio to name a few.

75 min. 2003.

Radical Film Night at the Lucy Parsons Center
Every Wednesday night at 7pm
Always Free
lucyparsons.org

Questions-Comments about the film series, contact:
films(-at-)lucyparsons.org

Lucy Parsons Center
549 Columbus Avenue
Boston's South End