[act-ma] 5/20: Urban Solutions to Climate Change w/ IPCC member Prof. Moomaw

Alexander Alexander at Southendpress.org
Tue May 15 16:26:28 PDT 2007

Hello Friends of Earthworks,

We are pleased to present  "A Convenient Truth: There Are Urban Solutions to Climate
Change," a talk by our keynote speaker, Tufts University Professor
William Moomaw. Professor Moomaw is a lead author on many of the
science and policy reports issued by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Prof. Moomaw's talk, will highlight local initiatives such as EarthWorks that
are doing the ground-level work necessary to make urban settlements
sustainable into the future, a future made even more uncertain by the
impacts of unprecedented climate change.

Everyone is invited to this talk--part of the EarthWorks Annual Meeting & Silent Auction
this coming Sunday, May 20 from 5:30-8:00 at our offices at the Edward L.
Cooper Community Garden & Education Center, 34 Linwood
Street, Roxbury (right up the hill and behind Roxbury
Community College.)

I hope everyone will be able to attend to learn more
about EarthWorks, enjoy delicious food from Haley
House, and bid on terrific items in the silent auction
ranging from an overnight stay, private tour and
tasting at Truro Vineyards, to a pair of pear trees,
to a baseball signed by future Hall of Famer Alex Cora
(what a season he's having!!), to Boston-area museum
passes, whale watching tix, gift certificates to local
restaurants, and much, much more.

Most of all, I hope you will come for the opportunity
to strengthen your connections with neighbors, colleagues
and friends who, like you, are working to make Boston a
healthy, just, beautiful, and sustainable place to live, work,
and play.

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday!

How to Stop the Planet From Burning

We know that climate change is happening. We know that it could, if the worst predictions come true, destroy the conditions which make human life possible.

Only one question is now worth asking: CAN IT BE STOPPED?

In HEAT <http://southendpress.org/2007/items/87798> , George Monbiot shows it can.