[act-ma] 5/22 Tue, Mazin Qumsiyeh: Palestinian Refugees and the Right to Return

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Sun May 20 19:52:17 PDT 2007

Dear Friends,

On Tuesday May 22nd at 7pm at 44 Danforth St (Spontaneous Celebrations right near the Stony Brook T Stop) in Jamaica Plain, the Jamaica Plain Residents for Human Rights (JPRHR) will be having a talk and video presentation by

Dr. Mazin Qumsiyeh

on The Right of Return of Palestinian Refugees.

The event is organized by Jamaica Plain Residents for Human Rights (contact P.O. Box 302055, JP MA 02130 or jphumanrights at yahoo.com for more info).

At our last SDP meeting we voted to support this event.  It is a local effort to organize with politics that seem similar to our own politics of opposing Israel's ethic cleansing program, and supporting the right of return of Palestinian refugees.  In fact, one JP member of SDP is involved with this effort.... so maybe we helped encourage this new effort !

Mazin has given two presentations in Somerville and always has new information about Palestine and is able to coherently connect this to the history of ethnic cleansing.

He is also part of the Wheels for Justice Network of people doing local grassroots organizing around the U.S. which SDP is also a part of.

Hope you can make it and support this new JP grouping. (more info about Mazin below)
Ron Francis 617 230-2835

Mazin Qumsiyeh is Palestinian American and former Professor of Genetics at Yale University School of Medicine. He is author of the widely acclaimed book Sharing the Land of Canaan: Human Rights and the Israeli-Palestinian Struggle. Dr. Qumsiyeh is a cofounder of Al-Awda, the Palestine Right to Return Coalition, AcademicsForJustice.org and BoycottIsraelGoods.org campaigns. He won the Jallow activism award from the Arab American Anti-Discrimination Committee in 1998.

Dr. Qumsiyeh's specialty is media activism. He published over 120 letters to the editor and 50 op-ed pieces and interviewed in TV and radio extensively.

Mazin writes:
 For my family's story and my encounters
along the way, please see The Cucumbur and the Cactus: A Palestinian
Christian Story published in Northeast Magazine 2002, posted at
http://www.qumsiyeh.org/thecucumberandthecactus/

You can visit his website for more info:
qumsiyeh at org for a biography, http://qumsiyeh.org/aboutqumsiyeh/