[act-ma] Take action on the Biolab this week! Toma acción contra el Biolab esta semana!

christy at riseup.net christy at riseup.net
Tue Jun 19 13:45:46 PDT 2007

(El español está abajo)

TAKE ACTION ON THE BIOLAB THIS WEEK!

Beginning today, people around Boston will be contacting the Boston City
Council to ask them to schedule hearings about the Biolab.

We are asking that three hearings be scheduled:

--> Transportation
---> Preparedness
----> Evacuation

We would like the transportation hearing to be scheduled in JULY.

COULD YOU to take a few minutes to call and email one or more of the
Councilors listed below? Contact information and a sample call script are
below. Working together to flood their offices with calls this week will
let the City Councilors know that the people of Boston have serious
concerns about BU's biolab.

=*=*= PLEASE CALL AND EMAIL =*=*=

STEPHEN MURPHY, Chair of the Public Safety committee, 617-635-4376,
Stephen.Murphy at cityofboston.gov

Other Councilors on the Committee:

MICHAEL FLAHERTY, Vice chair, At Large, 617-635-4205,
Michael.F.Flaherty at cityofboston.gov

FELIX ARROYO, At Large, 617-635-3115, Felix.Arroyo at cityofboston.gov

SALVATORE LAMATTINA, District 1, E. Boston, Charlestown, City Hall/Beacon
Hill/Islands, 617-635-3200, Salvatore.LaMattina at cityofboston.gov

CHARLES YANCEY, District 4, Dorchester & Mattapan, 617-635-3131,
Charles.Yancey at cityofboston.gov

--> Here a sample message (feel free to pick and choose what you like):

“Hi. My name is --------------- and I am a resident of -----------. I am
calling/writing to ask your help in organizing three meetings for the
Public Safety Committee that will deal with issues around Boston
University’s proposed BioSafety Level 4 Lab. We are asking that the
committee you head/serve on schedule hearings on transportation,
preparedness and evacuation. We would especially like to see the
transportation hearing scheduled for July.

“At the first hearing on the issue of transportation, held at the request
of City Councilor Chuck Turner on October 30, 2006, there was no
resolution. It became very clear during that hearing that there is no
security plan by Boston University to deliver the pathogens to be
researched safely. No one had a plan to offer.  There is no certified
delivery service company as called for in the NIH regulations, the route
to the lab is not secured and the point of origin security is not clear.
Neither the Fire Department nor the Police Department had any inkling of
their responsibilities in the safe transport of the pathogens.  On this
basis, the hearing was called to a close and set to be rescheduled when
these issues were clarified.

As a resident of Boston who’s very concerned about the safety of my city
and especially of those residents living closest to the proposed biolab,
where Boston University wants to work on the world’s deadliest and most
incurable diseases, I am asking you to do what you can to make these
Public Safety hearings happen as soon as possible. Thank you.”

For more in-depth TALKING POINTS, check out:
http://groups.google.com/group/d6biolab/web/talking-points-for-calling-city-council

FOR MORE INFO on the campaign and the Biolab, visit: http://StopTheBiolab.org

¡TOMA ACCIÓN CONTRA EL BIOLAB ESTA SEMANA!

Empezando hoy, la gente de Boston van a contactar el Ayuntamiento para
pedirles a programar las vistas del ayuntamiento sobre el Biolab.

Pedimos que ellos programan tres vistas:
--> La transportación
---> La preparación
----> La evacuación

Queremos que la vista de transportación se lleva a cabo en JULIO.

¿PUEDE UD. toma algunos minutos para llamar y mandar unos e-mails a uno o
más de los concejales enumerados abajo?

Trabajando juntos para hacer muchas llamadas a las oficinas del concejales
esta semana mandará un mensaje a los Concejales – que la gente de Boston
tienen preocupaciones graves sobre el Biolab de la Universidad de Boston.

=*=*= POR FAVOR LLAMAN Y MANDAN E-MAILS A: =*=*=

STEPHEN MURPHY, Director del Comité de la Seguridad Pública, 617-635-4376,
Stephen.Murphy at cityofboston.gov

Concejales en el Comité:

MICHAEL FLAHERTY, Vicedirector, “At Large”, 617-635-4205,
Michael.F.Flaherty at cityofboston.gov

FELIX ARROYO, “At Large”, 617-635-3115, Felix.Arroyo at cityofboston.gov

SALVATORE LAMATTINA, Distrito 1, E. Boston, Charlestown, City Hall/Beacon
Hill/Islands, 617-635-3200, Salvatore.LaMattina at cityofboston.gov

CHARLES YANCEY, Distrito 4, Dorchester & Mattapan, 617-635-3131,
Charles.Yancey at cityofboston.gov

--> PARA MAS INFORMACION sobre la campaña y el Biolab, visite a
http://stopthebiolab.org/?language=es