[act-ma] 8/4 Activist training: AIDS & 08 elections (Sat)

LaurieWen at aol.com LaurieWen at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 11:52:41 PDT 2007

The Student Global AIDS Campaign & Housing Works
invite you to a

Free "Bird-dogging" Training

Bird-dogging is the name given to the activist tactic of attending public appearances of politicians in order to win new policies. This election, we have the power to make sure
our next President has bold new policies on global health. Come learn how you can engage candidates and help to influence their policies and shape their platforms.

When: Saturday, August 4, 2-4pm

Where: Encuentro 5, 33 Harrison Ave, 5th floor, Boston
(T stops: Downtown Crossing, Boylston, Chinatown)

To win effective new policies and funding for global health, we have to find the person who has the power to give us what we need and make our demands. Often, we work very hard to reach decision makers through intermediaries like their staff or the media. Calls, letters and lobby visits are very important and necessary work. However, we should take every opportunity to directly reach policy makers, especially at public appearances like campaign events or town meetings when the people we need to say yes are outside of the protective bubbles they surround themselves with.

Public events are especially valuable since activists can often gain direct access and get an answer in front of members of the public and media, so we can hold politicians accountable for their promise. It is easy to have a big impact through the simple act of bringing five people to an event, working together to raise your hands and ask questions that provoke an answer from the target politician.

Come get trained and be a part of a national movement of proud bird-doggers pushing for progressive policies to fight AIDS and poverty!

For more information please contact lwen at hsph.harvard.edu.