[act-ma] Sept 18: Talk Back to Big Media in Boston

PF Soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Fri Sep 14 12:11:59 PDT 2007

free press: media is the issue <http://www.freepress.net/>

Dear PF,

Sumner: Can you
hear us now?

Have you ever wanted to talk back to Big Media?

Well now's your chance. Sumner Redstone, the Chairman of Viacom Inc. and
CBS, will be speaking publicly in Boston on Tuesday. He needs to hear
from you.

*What: * A Conversation with Sumner Redstone
*When: * Tuesday, Sep. 18, 2007, 4:30 p.m.
(Doors open at 4 p.m.)
*Where:* Boston University School of Law,
765 Commonwealth Ave.
*RSVP:* lawevent at bu.edu or 617-353-8011

We need you and other Boston activists to get Redstone on the record
about how media consolidation impacts America.

*Click here to download
a sign to hold up at the event*
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/x7NrYB61JQkB/>

At a similar event in 2001, Redstone was asked: "Why do you think the
conglomeration of so much media is a good thing for America?"

His answer: "I'm not sure it's a good thing for America. It's a good
thing for Viacom."

We need to get Redstone on the record again in Boston. Here are four
sample questions you could ask:

*On Democracy:* You have said that you didn't know whether media
consolidation was good for America, but that it was good for Viacom. Do
you put Viacom's interests before those of our democracy?

*On Diversity:* How can we create a more diverse and democratic media
when media consolidation pushes minority owners off the airwaves and
minority viewpoints out of the mainstream?

*On Public Interest:* Since the people own the airwaves that your
company profits from, what is Viacom doing to better serve the public
interest?

*On Localism: *Media consolidation has consistently led to less coverage
of local issues and local communities. As Viacom and other giants keep
consolidating, where can people turn for the information they need?

Try to bring a video camera and get Redstone's answer on tape.

After the event, visit the newly launched Free Press Action Network
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/xdNrYB61JQkc/> to let us know what
happened. At the Action Network, you can log on to the site, create your
own blog post and share information with a community of media reformers.

*Visit the Free Press Action Network Now*
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/xdNrYB61JQkc/>

It's time to hold Big Media accountable. Please attend this important
event and make your voice heard.

Thanks for all you do,

Josh Stearns
Campaign Coordinator
Free Press
www.freepress.net <http://action.freepress.net/ct/spNrYB61JQke/>

P.S. For more information on Redstone's media empire, visit
StopBigMedia.com's ownership charts:
http://www.stopbigmedia.com/chart.php
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/xpNrYB61JQkX/>

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
 Tell-a-friend!
<http://action.freepress.net/join-forward.html?domain=freepress&r=k1NrYB61wUGB>

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for FP -
E-Activists
<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/join.html?r=k1NrYB61wUGBE>.

<http://>