[act-ma] 10/10 Marcus Rediker and Slave Ship (Salem) tongiht

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Tue Oct 9 16:24:40 PDT 2007

I inadvertantly left off the town, it's Salem

Marcus Rediker and /Slave Ship/ at The House of the Seven Gables

Marcus Rediker, professor of history at the University of Pittsburgh,
has written a chilling account of the lives, deaths, and terrors of
captains, sailors, and the enslaved aboard a "floating dungeon" trailed
by sharks. From the young African kidnapped and sold into slavery to the
would-be priest who takes a job on a slave ship, to the captain of the
ship, Rediker illuminates the lives of people whose story is not widely
known. Rediker will also discuss the relationship of slavery and slave
ships to Salem's maritime economy.

Lecture and Booksigning at 7 pm, no charge.
Lecture location: The Settlement gym, 114 Derby Street.

Private Reception with the Author at 6 pm $25 general public, $20 members.

Reception at 6 p.m. in Hooper-Hathaway House at The Gables historic site.
To register for the lecture or reception, call 978.744.0991 ext. 107,
or email rcohn at 7gables.org <mailto:rcohn at 7gables.org>.

_____________________________

"Life and Death Among the Pirates:
The Real Story of the Pirates of the Caribbean"

A lecture given by Marcus Rediker at Emmanuel College
in Boston on October 9, 2003 and recorded by Roger
Leisner of Radio Free Maine.

Reviewed by Nikos Raptis

Historically the elite of any society have been able
to force upon the ordinary people of that society a
worldview which they (the elite) had constructed. The
elite of western societies are very adept in
constructing such a system of views. This they
accomplish by hammering these views in the heads of
ordinary people since childhood.

The general opinion of people about pirates has been
built on the idea that they were amoral, violent men
who attacked innocent people (noblemen, government
officials, naval officers, merchants, etc) to rob or
kill them. Hollywood, using the time-tested formula of
the "good" guys (the noblemen, etc) versus the "bad"
guys (the pirates) has enforced this view
significantly.

So, it is a great surprise for most of us to be
presented with evidence that this is not so. That the
pirates really were the "workers of the world" of
their time. This evidence is based on the research
work of 25 years by Marcus Rediker (Professor at the
University of Pittsburgh).

Rediker's research is deep and the presentation of his
conclusions is systematic and lucid. The span of time
that he examines is a ten year period from about 1716
to 1726. He starts by asking who were these pirates.
They were "a multiethnic, multinational, and
multiracial group of people" who "in essence" were in
"a struggle for life against socially organized death"
and "they were also poor". Mostly "poor working
sailors".

Then Rediker tries to answer why these people "chose
to become pirates?". The answer is: The barbarity of
the ruling classes. The unbelievably cruel conditions
of life on naval and on merchant ships, the brutality
of the officers, the ever present accidents that
turned people into cripples, the low wages, the poor
quality of food, etc pushed these men to their limits.
As a matter of fact Rediker states that the rather
"humorous" image of the pirate with a patch over his
eye, a hook for a hand, and a peg leg "is a real
situation for the 18th century sailor". The beggars
that were found in the great cities of the Atlantic at
the time were made up mostly of these crippled
sailors.

(Note: I think that a 1911 painting, by N.C. Wyeth, of
a blind pirate "tapping up and down the road in a
frenzy, and groping...for his comrades" is an
extremely vivid presentation of Rediker's description
of the reality of the crippled sailors.)

So, "piracy was an effort to escape a death trap",
according to Rediker. He quotes a pirate in court who
says to the judge: "What I did was to keep me from
perishing". And, although the life of a pirate was
short he preferred it because it was a life of
freedom, of dignity, and of merriment! A life based on
democratic principles. The pirates elected their
captain, who was revocable and was punished if he
abused his authority. Any punishment was based on
collective democratic decisions. They even created a
"miniature welfare state", according to Rediker, by
giving a certain "amount of booty" to those that were
unable to work because of health, injuries, etc.

To better show the rational, democratic, and just
foundation of the society of pirates (and the lack of
these qualities in the correct mainstream society)
Rediker uses the dialogue from a theatrical play (!)
of 1722 performed by the pirates. Here are some parts
of this dialogue:

The scene is in a court trying a pirate. The parts are
played by pirates. The judge is on a tree wearing a
mop on his head for a wig.

Judge: "Are you guilty or not guilty?"
Accused: "Not guilty".
J: "Not guilty? Say so again sir and I will have you

  hanged without any trial".