[act-ma] 10/24 Why Did White Progressives Drop the Ball in Jena? (Wed)

janet at communitychangeinc.org janet at communitychangeinc.org
Wed Oct 17 08:15:48 PDT 2007

Community Change Inc.
Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2007
Changing the Public Discourse around Race

WHY DID WHITE PROGRESSIVES DROP THE BALL IN JENA?

October 24, 2007 (Wednesday)
Noon—1:30 p.m.
Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 605
Boston MA 02108

  On Sept 20, 2007, over 20,000 Americans drove to Jena, LA to
protest the unjust prosecution of 6 black youth. Young people of
color across the country were galvanized to stand up for equal
protection in the criminal justice system. But white progressives
didn’t join them in Jena and prominent progressive leaders largely
ignored the significance of the Jena Protests. How do we change the
ways white Americans think about justice and national community, so
that youth of color become “all of our” youth?

Presenter: Lydia Bean, co-founder of FRIENDS OF JUSTICE (http://
friendsofjustice.wordpress.com), the faith-based civil rights
organization that first investigated the Jena case and broke the
story to the media. FRIENDS OF JUSTICE organizes in communities
across Texas and Louisiana to uphold due process for all Americans.

Please bring your lunch. Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution
requested.

RSVP (617) 523-0555 or ernestine at communitychangeinc.org

Community Change, Inc 617-523-0555 www.communitychangeinc.org