[act-ma] 12/17 Statewide Public Forum on protecting our local water resources

Tribal Scribal valeoftheoaks at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:22:05 PST 2007

Keeping Water Protected and Public

You’re invited to a state-wide Public Forum on protecting our local water resources. Please help spread the word.

When: Monday, December 17, 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Where: Doyle Conservation Center in Leominster , MA
Directions: http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/3946_directions.cfm

Large-scale water withdrawal is becoming an increasingly significant issue. Nestle’s interest in taking large amounts of water from MA watersheds and aquifers raises new issues and calls for new protection of water resources. Global demand for good water is rising, and experts predict growing pressure on fresh water ecosystems.

How do we protect our local water resources from the twin challenges of pollution and over-use? What are the gaps in water protection laws and policies, and what can citizens do locally to protect water resources?

Join us in a public forum on how to keep water protected and publicly controlled.

Panel:

Kirt Mayland, Director, Eastern Water Project, Trout Unlimited

Russ Cohen, Mass. Riverways Program, Mass. Department of Fish and Game
John McNabb, Legislative Director and Water Resources Protection Expert for local communities, Clean Water Action.

Tina Clarke , Campaign Director, Clean Water Action and Montague Alliance to Protect Our Water

Megan Rising, Senior Organizer, Corporate Accountability International

We’ll share information about:

·
Several bills before the state legislature will help close gaps in water protection.

·
Citizens winning protection for local water supplies. We’ll share what worked in Montague’s recent victory against Nestle. We’ll discuss model ordinances.

·
New campaigns helping raise public awareness and educate consumers.

Come share your ideas and learn how citizens can win greater protection and public control at state and local level. You’ll receive an resource “kit” for local town work which will include fact sheets on major water protection bills and information and resources for Corporate Accountability International’s “Think Outside the Bottle” campaign.

For more information and to register, contact Becky Smith at Clean Water Action, bsmith at cleanwater.org, 617-338-8131 x210.

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical world."

- Thomas Jefferson
CAPE WIND: RIGHT PROJECT/WRONG PLACE!!
more rebellion here:
http://concertobi.blogspot.com/

Checkout The Enviro Show on WXOJ-LP, 103.3fm
Northampton, MA, Tuesdays, 6pm
http://envirosho.blogspot.com