[act-ma] 2/09 Libraries: Kick Digital Rights Management ( DRM) out! at the BPL

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Wed Feb 6 15:18:09 PST 2008

DefectiveByDesign.org
DRM ACTION ALERT

     Libraries: Kick DRM out!

     * /Take Action:/ Digg this

<http://defectivebydesign.org/sites/nodrm.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=398&qid=404491>
       story.
     * Join us

<http://defectivebydesign.org/sites/nodrm.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=399&qid=404491>
       2/09/08 at the Boston Public Library.
     * Take action at your own library! (Modify our flier

<http://defectivebydesign.org/sites/nodrm.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=400&qid=404491>).

DefectiveByDesign.org will be taking action this Saturday at the Boston
Public Library to demand that they remove DRM technology from their
collection! We will be gathering outside the entrance at the main branch
of the Boston Public Library (700 Boylston St., Boston MA 02116) at 1PM
on Saturday, February 9th, 2008. Please, Sign-up if you are attending.

     * Location: 700 Boylston St., Boston MA 02116
     * Time: 1:00--3:00PM on Saturday, February 9th, 2008
     * Sign-up link

<http://defectivebydesign.org/sites/nodrm.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=399&qid=404491>

If you can't join us, we encourage you to take action against any
library in your area that has DRM technology infecting its collection.
You can customize our flyer
<http://defectivebydesign.org/sites/nodrm.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=400&qid=404491>

and pass it out to the local patrons and librarians in your area.

The Boston Public Library has Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) on
its ebooks, audio books, music, and videos, and we are demanding that
they remove it, and establish a policy against DRM -- a policy that
respects user freedom.

We know that the real motive behind DRM technology schemes is to
increase profits for those who impose them, but their profit is a side
issue when millions of people's freedom is at stake; desire for profit,
though not wrong in itself, cannot justify denying the public control
over its technology and its libraries. Defending freedom means thwarting
DRM.

Join us in demanding that the BPL Trust and libraries worldwide
eliminate DRM from their collections.

We'll report back on the success of our action here in Boston -- Be sure
to tell us about your local actions too!

In solidarity,

Josh, John, Matt, and Peter