[act-ma] 2/17: Boston Workers Alliance Benefit

Patrick Keaney pkeaney at netway.com
Fri Feb 15 10:54:27 PST 2008

You are cordially invited to:

*Boston Workers Alliance Appreciation Benefit Day
Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 7pm *
(Monday is President's Day Off)

Hiram Youth Development Center
98 Talbot Ave
Dorchester, MA 02125
Donation $10.00

If you are unable to attend, but wish to support the critical
work BWA is doing to end "The War at Home," please send checks
made out to "Boston Workers Alliance" to:

Boston Workers Alliance
51 Roxbury St.
Roxbury, MA 02119

For ticket reservations, please email BWA Jobs Chair:
Hakim Cunningham: h.cunningham at yahoo.com
Or call 617-427-8108

On September 22, 2005, at a large meeting of jobless workers at the 12th
Baptist Church in Roxbury, the Boston Workers Alliance was born. The
initiative has its roots in the organizing and education that the
District 7 Roundtable carries out in conjunction with the office of City
Councilor Chuck Turner. At a time when others were organizing for
education, health care, and peace, D7 determined that it was time for a
push to organize the unemployed – the same work that Dr. King was
involved in when he was assassinated.

Since its founding, BWA has sought to uplift our community by building
powerful collective challenges to the crisis of unemployment. Our two
immediate priorities have been fighting CORI discrimination and forming
a BWA worker-owned temp agency.

The Boston Workers Alliance (BWA) is an organization for unemployed and
underemployed workers, fighting for employment rights. Please join us
for a night of celebration, appreciation, food, entertainment and
community. We are proud of our recent victories around CORI reform, and
ask you to help us continue our work for justice and the uplift of our
community.

Thank you!

www.BostonWorkersAlliance.org