[act-ma] Cambridge FCC Hearing on the Future of the Internet, 2/25

Jason Pramas jpramas at igc.org
Fri Feb 15 21:16:56 PST 2008

[Please repost widely.]

Hi folks,

Free Press, the national progressive media advocacy organization, asked
me to spread the word about an important event (see below) happening in
a little over a week. I'll put out more details in a few days as soon as
I have them.

Please join me there, and if you're considering making it and possibly
submitting testimony to the FCC Commissioners, please drop me a quick
email; so I can help start to estimate turnout.

Thanks much.

Read on,

Jason Pramas
Massachusetts Global Action
and
Open Media Boston

Boston FCC Hearing on the Future of the Internet

The Federal Communications Commission is coming to Boston to hold a
public hearing--featuring a rare local appearance of all 5 FCC
Commissioners--about the future of the Internet.

In recent months cable and Internet companies like Comcast, AT&T and
Verizon have repeatedly been caught blocking, filtering, and spying on
consumers' Internet activities. The FCC is responding to the hundreds of
thousands of people who have expressed their outrage over the
anti-competitive practices by holding a hearing in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

WHAT: A Public Hearing on the Future of the Internet

WHEN: Monday, Feb 25, 2008

TIME: 10:00 a.m. - FCC monthly meeting open to the public
12:00 p.m. - Open Public Hearing on the Future of the Internet

WHERE: Harvard Law School, Ames Courtroom, Austin Hall
1515 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138
Directions: http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/contact/directions.php/

Read the FCC announcement at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-280194A1.pdf.

We are in a unique moment in history when the government will decide
whether we have a closed Internet controlled by a small handful of giant
corporations, or an open Internet controlled by the people who use it.

With so much at stake, it's encouraging that the FCC's first move is to
quickly seek public feedback and expert counsel about the future of the
Internet. Let's hope this important hearing in Massachusetts is just the
beginning of a national conversation that spreads to every town and city
across the country.

Come to make your voice heard or submit comments directly to the agency.
Take action today to protect the Internet for tomorrow:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/comcast.php.