[act-ma] 5/20 Undoing the Silence: CCI Brown Bag Discussion (Tues)

Janet janet at communitychangeinc.org
Tue Apr 22 11:47:59 PDT 2008

Community Change Inc.

Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2008

Changing the Discourse around Race

UNDOING THE SILENCE:
Writing for Social Change Action

MAY 20, 2008 (Tuesday)
Noon—1:30 p.m.

Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 605
Boston MA 02108

  Activist writer and longtime advocate for peace and justice LOUISE
DUNLAP will present her book, Undoing the Silence, written to help
citizen activists, scholars and professionals use their writing for
social change. She will discuss the role structural racism plays in
our silencing and how can all of us become more effective voices for
transformation.

          "A valuable, beautifully written resource, this book will
certainly inspire and unleash critical thinking and writing for
social change - both for activists who never imagined they could be
writers and for seasoned writers in need of renewal.”
Shamim Meer Activist Writer and Researcher, South Africa

  Please bring your lunch. Beverages will be provided. $5
contribution requested.
RSVP (617) 523-0555 or ernestine at communitychangeinc.org

The current public discourse around race assumes that we live in a
color-blind society where the American Dream is attainable by all
individuals who work hard enough. This deeply flawed discourse
obscures the racial disparities in employment, education, criminal
justice, housing, health care, etc. and provides a powerful but
faulty rationale for leaving our systems and institutions the way
they are. The issues presented at the Community Change Brown Bag
Discussion Series are concrete examples of the structural racism that
affects the lives of all, most acutely communities of color. The 2008
Series places these issues in their social/historical context and
gives attendees a truthful discourse, as well as ways to put that
discourse into action, in order to challenge institutional and
systemic racism.

Community Change, Inc 617-523-0555 www.communitychangeinc.org