[act-ma] RALLY FOR NORTHEASTERN JANITORS - SAT 4/26 @ NOON

Chris Gonsalves chrislgonsalves at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:23:23 PDT 2008

Please forward widely

NORTHEASTERN JANITORS DESERVE JUSTICE

Join Us!

BECAUSE NORTHEASTERN JANITORS ARE AMONG THE LOWEST PAID IN THE BOSTON AREA
BECAUSE NORTHEASTERN JANITORS DESERVE FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT AND BENEFITS
BECAUSE NORTHEASTERN JANITORS ARE A PART OF OUR COMMUNITY

Students at Northeastern and surrounding schools are demanding that
the University uphold its vision of "engaging the world using our
knowledge and resources as positive forces for change in both our
local communities and our global society" as we "aspire to be a model
for what our society can be." The current state of Northeastern
Janitors is inconsistent with that vision.

Northeastern Janitors remain the lowest paid among Boston-area
universities, and many of them have no health care because they are
part-time employees. The Justice for Janitors Coalition is dedicated
to placing continuous pressure on the University until this problem is
resolved.

Be a positive force for change and join us:

Saturday April 26th at noon, students will rally and march from campus
to the President's house and begin a three day event culminating with
a final rally on Monday April 28th at 6 p.m. If you can't come to
both, come to one, commit what you can.

The purpose of higher education is not only to better individuals, but
also to better the community as a whole. The model society we seek
must be reflected internally within our own university community. As
students, we are the stakeholders of the University.  We shape the
ultimate goals and priorities of our community. Students' voices have
and will continue to be the driving force at universities, so help us
push Northeastern towards the vision we seek by speaking out, standing
up, and marching with us!

~The Justice for Janitors Coalition
March and Rally:
April 26th, noon
Krentzman Quad (near the Northeastern T stop on the Greenline)
Lunch provided after the march
Final Rally, Mon. Apr 28, 6-7pm, on the Boston Common, closing rally
on Boston Common near the president's house on 34 Beacon.

Check out the student made documentary:
http://www.nutv.neu.edu/home.php