[act-ma] Thurs, May 29 -- Cecile Richards, "Banned in Boston"

Ford Hall Forum info at fordhallforum.org
Fri May 16 09:32:20 PDT 2008

Ford Hall Forum
Free Public Lecture & Discussion Series
Presents:

Banned in Boston: The Silent Speech of Margaret Sanger

with
Cecile Richards
President of Planned Parenthood Federation of America

Moderated by
Susan Shaer
Executive Director of W.A.N.D.

Thursday, May 29, at 6:30 pm
at the
Old South Meeting House
(directions at www.fordhallforum.org/directions.html)

-FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC-

³You all know that I have been gagged. I have been suppressed. I have been
arrested numerous times. I have been hauled off to jail. Yet every time,
more people have listened to me, more have protested, more have lifted their
own voices.² Thus read Arthur Schlesinger, Sr. in 1929 as Margaret Sanger
sat silent beside him on the stage of Ford Hall, banned under court
injunction from speaking herself. Cecile Richards, President of Planned
Parenthood, joins us tonight to reflect on that event; its meaning, its
messengers, and the era that gave us the phrase, ³Banned in Boston.²

 Equal time will be provided for prepared remarks and questions from the
audience.
Come join the conversation!

Reserved seating available for Ford Hall Forum members.
Membership information at: www.fordhallforum.org/membership.html

This program is presented in collaboration with the Old South Meeting House
as part of the Partners in Public Dialogue Series.

Ford Hall Forum promotes freedom of speech and fosters an informed and
effective citizenry through the public presentation of lectures, debates,
and discussions. Its events illuminate the key issues facing our society by
bringing to its podium knowledgeable and thought-provoking speakers,
including some of the most controversial opinion leaders of our times. These
speakers are presented in person, for free, and in settings, which
facilitate frank and open debate.  For more information, log onto
www.fordhallforum.org or contact Alex Minier at alex at fordhallforum.org,
617-557-2007.

The Ford Hall Forum presents this program in collaboration with the Old
South Meeting House, as part of their Partners in Public Dialogue Series.
Old South Meeting House is a non-profit museum and historic site, located on
the Freedom Trail, dedicated to sustaining the building¹s tradition as a
community-gathering place for the free exchange of ideas and to provide a
place where people can connect the issues of the past with the issues of
today. It receives support from the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state
agency, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency, and
other public and private sources. Visit www.oldsouthmeetinghouse.org for
more information.

Ford Hall Forum programs are made available online by our partners at the
WGBH Forum Network.  To download free audio and video of recent events,
visit http://forum.wgbh.org/wgbh/forum.php?organization=Ford+Hall+Forum.