[act-ma] BPFF needs your urgent support

pfsoto at mynas.com pfsoto at mynas.com
Tue Jul 1 17:30:32 PDT 2008

Please help if you can; this such a wonderful, important event

<http://www.bostonpalestinefilmfest.org>
<http://www.bostonpalestinefilmfest.org/support.html>Dear Friends,

We are gearing up for our 2^nd annual *Boston Palestine Film Festival
(BPFF) *and we ask for your support. We value and depend on your
support.  /Any/ contribution you make will help us continue to bring
exceptional Palestinian film perspectives to the greater Boston community.

>From its spectacular opening to its jubilant conclusion, the first
annual Boston Palestine Film Festival in 2007 was an unqualified
success.  With your help, our 2008 festival will be just as remarkable
and memorable.

*

2007*:  With over 40 films, BPFF brought authentic Palestinian
perspectives, experiences and culture to venues as prestigious and
diverse as the Museum of Fine Arts, Coolidge Corner Theatre, Kendall
Square Cinema, Harvard Film Archive, Harvard University and Boston
College.  BPFF featured several US premieres and included appearances by
many noted international filmmakers.  Please visit *BPFF
<http://bostonpalestinefilmfest.org>*online to view the substantial
coverage we received in the Boston Globe, the Boston Phoenix and on
WBUR, a local affiliate of National Public Radio---to name just a few
media outlets.

*2008:* This year's festival is every bit as exciting and compelling as
last year's. We are now finalizing our 2008 program for this coming
fall, October 4^th -12^th . We hope that we can count on your support to
build on the achievements of last year,

*WE NEED YOUR HELP:  WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE FINANCIAL LEVEL WE WERE AT
THIS TIME LAST YEAR!*

We have over 50 hours of programming at the same prestigious venues,
which include feature films, documentaries, shorts, video art and a
youth program.  Some of our big hits this year are /*_SlingShot Hip Hop
<http://www.slingshothiphop.com/>_*/, /*Soy Palestino
<http://www.palestinefilmfest.com/node/152>*/ , /*Salt of the Sea
<http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/archives/ficheFilm/id/10771496/year/2008.html>*/
, /*Bab El Shams <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406551/>*/, and  /*La
Terre Parle Arabe
<http://www.spidh.org/fileadmin/spidh/Documents_de_reference/Programme/PROG-GB.pdf>*/.

Importantly, *2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the Nakba* ("the
catastrophe"): the expulsion and dispossession of hundreds of thousands
of Palestinians from their homes and land in 1948.  We will commemorate
Nakba with special programming that highlights aspects of devastation,
dispossession and loss that remain a living reality for millions of
Palestinian refugees today. We will also present a special program on
Gaza in an effort to draw attention to the current devastation there.

A successful second festival is critical if we are to maintain and
strengthen the momentum we've established thus far. To meet our
aspirations, we are organizing associated events to raise the profile of
Palestine and Palestinian cinema in Boston; we also need to expand
awareness of BPFF by boosting our public relations and advertising
campaigns.  Obviously, this requires money and resources.

<http://www.bostonpalestinefilmfest.org/support.html>We can't do this
without your support. Click on the red donate button to make an online
donation. *Donate $250 or more and you will get a festival pass that
grants you entry to all our films!* If you have already donated $250 or
more in the past 6 months, you too will get a free pass!

We genuinely appreciate your interest and commitment to the Boston
Palestine Film Festival, and look forward to seeing you at our upcoming
events.

Sincerely,
Festival Organizing Committee