[act-ma] Thurs, July 3rd: UP film screening: Leila Khaled, Hijacker

pfsoto at mynas.com pfsoto at mynas.com
Tue Jul 1 17:51:00 PDT 2008

[hi  folks; please spread the word; thanks!
FYI: We welcome Palestinians who would like to speak briefly to the
audience after the film; if that means /you/, please contact me, pf
<mailto:pfsoto at mynas.com>, and i'll happily put you on the speakers list ]

*Showing Thursday, July 3rd, in Cambridge:*

*/Leila Khaled, Hijacker  /*58 min

It was August the 29th, 1969 and TWA flight 840 had just taken off.
The destination was Tel Aviv, Israel.

A short while later the woman leaves her seat and threatens the crew
with hand grenades and enters the cockpit. 24 year old Leila Khaled had
just completed her first hijacking and at the same time she became the
first woman ever to hijack an airplane.

"A story about an extraordinary woman and her journey, the jury decided
to award Lina Makboul´s film, Leila Khaled Hijacker the award for Best
Film because of its nuanced politics of nationhood and gender. This film
about a Palestinian woman hijacker challenges our assumptions about
those who resort to violent means in response to oppression and gives us
access to the politics of one of the most troubled regions of the
twentieth century. It also complicates the current discourse on Islam
and terrorism by its deliberation on the meanings of terms such as
"terrorist", interrogating and asking if one person's terrorist could be
another's freedom fighter. Especially relevant in the context of today's
highly polarized conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine and closer
home in Kashmir, this self-reflexive film echoes in its treatment, the
complexity of its arguments, using evocative imagery both verité as well
as reconstructed as well as archival footage in an extremely creative
manner."

When asked if she was a terrorist, Leila replied/, " Whenever I hear
this word I ask another question. Who planted terrorism in our area?
Some came and took our land, forced us to leave, forced us to live in
camps. I think this is terrorism. Using means to resist this terrorism
and stop it's effects---this is called struggle."/

*When/where*
7 pm
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
http://rule19.org/videos
*we have several new handouts for you to take away;
we will also have a list of recommended /actions; /come with your ideas!
*
Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
Free film, free refreshments, & free door prizes.
[donations are accepted]

"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education./" ~
Malcolm X

*Unveiling Palestine film series  - see http://rule19.org/videos*
Why should YOU care? It's your money that pays for the occupation &
illegal Israeli settlements.

*
*

pf soto