[act-ma] BIMC headlines: Cheney Protest; Aramark Workers Strike; Iraq Soldiers in Canada; Bhopal

Sofia JarrinT sofiajt at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 09:35:56 PDT 2008

Indynews is our news. Thanks for making the media!!

Dick Cheney Met By Protesters on 4th of July
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/205107/index.php

Anti-war and impeachment protesters met Dick Cheney as he visited Boston July 4th. The "president of vice" , Dick Cheney, came to Boston, MA this July 4th--he was present at a military re-enlistment ceremony aboard the revolutionary war era ship the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides"). About 50 anti-Cheney and anti-war protesters greeted his motorcade entering the Charlestown Navy Yard with protest signs and jeers.
[VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P-kaKS8ruE ]

Iraq War Resisters Seek Refuge in Canada: First Deportee Scheduled for July 10
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/205085/index.php

Corey Glass is a former sergeant from the Los Angeles California National Guard, who arrived in Canada in August 2006. "When I joined the national guard, they told me the only way I would be in combat is if there were troops occupying the United States," Corey said. "I signed up to defend people and do humanitarian work filling sandbags if there was a hurricane; I should have been in New Orleans, not Iraq." Now he faces deportation.

PSL ON THE BALLOT IN ARKANSAS, VERMONT AND COLORADO!
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/205072/index.php

The La Riva/Puryear PSL Presidential Campaign is proud to announce that we have achieved ballot status in Arkansas, Vermont and Colorado! We are also in the final stages for ballot status in Utah, Florida, New Jersey and Iowa. Over the next two months, we will be working to gain ballot access in many additional states, including Washington state, New York, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Rhode Island, California and other states.

Solidarity rally with workers from the Colonade Hotel
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/205070/index.php

Skilled trades and maintenance workers at the Colonade Hotel are united in the Area Trades Council. Hotel management is refusing to agree to a contract that would provide fair wages and benefits based on area standards. Union and community supporters came to a rally to show support for fairness and put pressure on management to treat employees with dignity and respect.

Aramark Workers Strike at Boston’s Convention Centers
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/205062/index.php

On June 21st, hundreds of food service workers initiated a strike against the Philadelphia-based Food Service company, Aramark, walking off the job and picketing at Boston’s two biggest convention centers: the Hynes Convention Center (HCC) and the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (BCEC). 350 food workers at the two convention centers, members of Unite Here Local 26, have been without a contract since October, and the company called off all negotiations in May.

SOLIDARITY HUNGER FAST IN COPLEY SQ. TO SUPPORT BHOPAL GAS SURVIVORS
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/204938/index.php

Copley Sq. Boston - Activists in Boston joined the Global Hunger Strike Relay today by having a public fasting event in Copley Square. From 10:30am-12:30pm, students and professionals affiliated with Amnesty International and Association for India's Development publicly fasted and asked Boston residents to call the Indian Prime Minister to ask for justice in Bhopal.

The Mortgage Crisis in the USA
http://boston.indymedia.org/feature/display/204958/index.php

Commentators complain of "partisanship" in Washington. Society's problems are said to result from infighting between parties. We should celebrate, then, because Democrats and Republicans have agreed on a plan to end the mortgage crisis. What solution do they offer? Handouts to Big Business, and "fiscal discipline" for the rest.