[act-ma] 10/15 Black, Proud, Latino, CCI Brown Bag Discussion (Wed)

Janet janet at communitychangeinc.org
Thu Sep 25 13:18:30 PDT 2008

Community Change Inc.
Brown Bag Anti-Racism Discussion Series 2008
Changing the Public Discourse around Race

BLACK, PROUD, LATINO: THE AFRO-LATINO JOURNEY FOR INCLUSION

October 8, 2008 (Wednesday)
12 noon – 1:30 pm
Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 605
Boston MA
This dialogue will highlight the African presence in Latin America
and the Caribbean and the common legacies of people of African
descent. We have made many contributions in the region that have been
left untold. During this Hispanic Heritage month, we celebrate our
History and our contributions to the development of the region. We
will also discuss how we can address the racism within the Latino
community and how we can serve as a bridge between Latinos and
African Americans.

PRESENTER: YVETTE MODESTIN: Encuentro Diaspora Afro – Mobilize,
Empower, Create Bridges of Understanding, is a grassroots
organization anchored in the community of Boston and dedicated to
dismantling racism, improving the lives of women and men of African
descent, and creating a just society for all. http://
www.northnode.org/encuentro.htm

The current public discourse around race assumes that we live in a
color-blind society where the American Dream is attainable by all
individuals who work hard enough. This deeply flawed discourse
obscures the racial disparities in employment, education, criminal
justice, housing, health care, etc. and provides a powerful but
faulty rationale for leaving our systems and institutions the way
they are. The issues presented at the Community Change Brown Bag
Discussion Series are concrete examples of the structural racism that
affects the lives of all, most acutely communities of color. The 2008
Series places these issues in their social/historical context and
gives attendees a truthful discourse, as well as ways to put that
discourse into action, in order to challenge institutional and
systemic racism.

Please bring your lunch. Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution
requested.
RSVP (617) 523-0555 or janet at communitychangeinc.org
Community Change, Inc 617-523-0555 www.communitychangeinc.org