[act-ma] 10/2 & 3 How to build Sustainable Cities (Th or Fri)

alexander alexander at endless-knot.com
Tue Sep 30 20:27:11 PDT 2008

Two chances to learn tips and tactics for building sustainable cities
with Scott Kellogg of the Rhizome collective (Austin, TX)

Thursday, October 2nd at the Lucy Parsons Center

and/or

Friday October 3rd at the Jamaica Plain Forum

both events start at 7pm and are free and open to all

SUSTAINABLE CITY LIVING

When people envision food production or toxic cleanups, the last
setting most likely imagine is Boston. But with more than half the
world’s population now residing—and struggling to survive—in cities,
we can no longer afford to think of sustainability as something that
applies only to forests and fields. We need sustainable living right
where so many of us are: in urban neighborhoods. But how do we do it?

To help answer this question the Rhizome Collective transformed an
abandoned Austin, Texas, warehouse into a sustainability training
center. Here, with their first book Toolbox for Sustainable City
Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide, two of Rhizome’s founders provide
step-by-step instructions for city dwellers—those who have never
foraged or gardened along with those who dumpster-dive and belong to
CSAs—with directions for producing our own food, collecting water,
managing waste, reclaiming land, and generating energy.

In Toolbox Stacy and Scott explain how to build and grow with cheap,
salvaged, and recycled materials. With vibrant illustrations created
by Juan Martinez, a member of the Beehive Collective, and descriptive
text based on years of experimentation the guide is an accessible and
relevant tool for all members of the community. This manual enables us
to move from envisioning a future with resources for all to living it.

Stacy Pettigrew and Scott Kellogg are part of the Rhizome Collective,
an educational and activist organization based in Austin, Texas. Its
members recently received a $200,000 brownfield cleanup grant from the
EPA, which they're using to turn a 10-acre dump into an ecological
justice park. The bioremediation techniques they developed are being
used to remove toxins deposited by the waters of Hurricane Katrina.

The Lucy Parsons Center
549 Columbus Avenue
Boston's South End
www.lucyparsons.org

The JP Forum
at the First Congregational Church in Jamaica Plain Unitarian
Universalist
3 Eliot Street, JP
(by the Monument)
www.jamaicaplainforum.org

cosponsored by South End Press, JP Greenhouse, and Eagle Eye Institue