[act-ma] 10/22: There Must Be a Struggle: An Evening of Worship on Justice, Power, and Racism in America Today

Katherine Fisher kath.fisher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 11:13:08 PDT 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Quakers to host evening of spiritual reflection on the struggle for
racial justice

On Wednesday October 22, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m., the Peace and Social
Concerns Committee of Beacon Hill Friends Meeting (Quakers) will lead
"There Must Be a Struggle: An Evening of Worship on Justice, Power,
and Racism in America Today".  The event will be held at Beacon Hill
Friends House, 6 Chestnut Street, Boston.  The committee invites you
to: Reflect in the rich silence of Quaker Worship, celebrate the
empowering strength of Justice, and share in the positive power of
Truth.

We are in the midst of a national election cycle where the
undercurrent of racism has been in front of us for several months.  As
concerned individuals, we cannot let a negative message about race
overpower our will to transform our society and the world at large.

Frederick Douglass told us "...There must be a struggle." He told us
"...Power concedes nothing without demand..."  But there is change in
the air.  We are not only making demands, we as a people across a
living rainbow have a unique power that racism has no power over:
Justice!

The Freedom Riders were moved to act from a position of Strength and
Power.  It was not a struggle of weakness and fear that began to move
the world when Rosa Parks refused to move on that bus so many
Decembers ago.  Let us join together in spiritual fellowship, and
build our own power for today's struggle.

Directions: from Park St. MBTA station, walk to State House, turn left
onto Beacon St., right on Walnut, left on Chestnut, meeting house is
on the left.
For more information, call Greg Williams at 617-501-6258.