[act-ma] 10/11 Anti-War Concert, March and Rally needs volunteers

Stop the Wars Coalition info at stopthewars.org
Thu Oct 9 19:14:54 PDT 2008

(We need volunteers see below)
Boston Common Parade Grounds near Charles and Beacon Streets.
Music starts at 11 AM

PERFORMERS:
SON OF NUN (hip hop)
Bojah & the Insurrection (political funk)
FLUTTR EFFECT (modern rock)
PETE CASSINI (Peasant folk)
SGT MAXWELL’S PEACE CHORUS (anti-war folk/rock/gospel)
RYAN HARVEY (activist folk)
CASEY DESMOND (singer/songwriter)
KIER BYRNES (Americana)
MICHAEL BLOOM (political folk)
PAT SCANLON (Veterans for Peace)
several bands from Honkfest will be part of the march

SPEAKERS:
JOSEPH GERSON, AFSC
CHUCK TURNER, Boston City Council
ASHLEY SMITH
MEGHAN DAY
Former Staff Sergeant GABRIEL PAYAN

Flyers are available at http://www.oct11boston.org/Get_Involved.html Help
Also see the website for the long list of endorsing organizations.

March, 2008 ushered in the sixth year of war and occupation “without
end” on Iraq. In an act of arrogance and impunity, Congress in a
bipartisan vote approved another $162 billion in funding for the wars on
Iraq and Afghanistan. The stepping up of threats against Iran and the
increased likelihood of a U.S. troop “surge” into Afghanistan point to
an imperative for action and an independent voice from the peace and
justice movement.

In light of these developments, grass roots forces from around the
country gathered together at the end of June for the National Assembly
to End the Iraq War and Occupation in Cleveland, Ohio. At the conference
an action plan for the months ahead was discussed and approved in a
democratic vote. As part of this plan, over 95% voted in favor of
supporting pre-election protests being organized in cities and
localities around the country on October 11, 2008.

In Boston, the October 11 mobilizing committee has been formed to
organize a mass
demonstration on Boston Common around the following demands/slogans:
• STAND UP FOR PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST.
• STOP THE WARS AND OCCUPATIONS IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN.
• BRING THE TROOPS HOME NOW.
• MONEY FOR JOBS, EDUCATION, HEALTHCARE AND HOUSING …NOT FOR
WAR AND OCCUPATION.
• NO SANCTIONS OR ATTACK ON IRAN.
• STOP THE RACIST SCAPEGOATING OF ARABS AND MUSLIMS.
• STOP THE ASSAULT ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES.

It was on October 11, 2002 that Congress approved the “Iraq War
Resolution” granting the Bush administration authorization to invade
Iraq. The weeks ahead will continue to be filled with debate as the
election campaigns gear up. Instead of being spectators who watch the
media pundits put their spin on the political pronouncements of the
candidates, we will be actively engaged in injecting our agenda, the
antiwar agenda, into the intensifying debate.

See www.oct11.org for information on other demonstrations around the
country.
________
You and your organization can help: We need volunteers to take one or
two hour shifts as peace keepers, guides, staffing tables and many other
tasks.
email Sascha at sascharuby at gmail.com or call John at 617-230-9505

or come to the volunteer table in back of the stage on the day of the
demonstration.

For more information, please visit www.oct11boston.org or reply to info
at oct11boston.org info at oct11boston.org
with your phone number and a good time to call, and we will be in touch
soon.

For a flavor of what things will be like on Saturday check out this
radio show on the net
http://wmbr.org/?p=sched-thu#troubadour

Sincerely,
The October 11 Mobilizing Committee