[act-ma] 10/18 - Planning Mtg for the October 24-27 'Bail Out the People, Not the Bankers' Actions

Women's Fightback Network iacboston at iacboston.org
Tue Oct 14 17:47:52 PDT 2008

*OCTOBER 24-27: BAIL OUT THE PEOPLE, NOT THE BANKERS!*

*A CALL TO ACTION
*Nationally Coordinated, Local Mass Actions

The stock markets are crashing, the world economy is headed into a deep
recession or even depression, and the U.S. government and its top
bankers, along with their counterparts around the world, are giving
what's going to amount to trillions of dollars to bailout the richest 1
percent of the people *WHILE DOING NOTHING TO RESCUE ORDINARY WORKING
AND POOR PEOPLE!*

We must stand up and say no to this injustice! *NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT.*

With that in mind, we are calling for *Nationally Coordinated Local Days
of Action on the weekend of October 24-27.*

Endorse -
http://stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/stopforeclosuresendorseo27.shtml
<http://stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/stopforeclosuresendorseo27.shtml>

Volunteer/list local activity -
http://stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/stopforeclosuresvolunteero27.shtml
<http://stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/stopforeclosuresvolunteero27.shtml>

Donate - http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/donate.shtml
<http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/donate.shtml>
<http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/donate.shtml>
Contact Us - http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/cmnt.shtml
<http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org/cmnt.shtml>

****************************
*PLANNING MEETING IN BOSTON
4:00 P.M. SATURDAY. OCTOBER 18
ACTION CENTER
284 AMORY ST. (the Brewery), JAMAICA PLAIN*
****************************

During October 24-27, organize marches and demonstrations in front of
banks, especially JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and
Citibank, or at your local Federal Reserve Bank. Organize a teach-in or
a public hearing on the Wall Street crisis, etc.

*IT'S TIME FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO DECLARE AN ECONOMIC STATE OF EMERGENCY
AND GIVE DIRECT HELP TO THE PEOPLE--NOT THE BANKS*

The following are some of the growing list of emergency measures that
people across the country will be raising at protests during the Days of
Action:

--Emergency moratorium on home foreclosures and evictions
--No budget cuts in education, healthcare and all social services
--No layoffs, extend unemployment benefits
--No utility shut-offs
--Debt relief for students, poor and working people
--Protect public and private pensions
--Jobs at a living wage

We are outraged Congress has approved a $700 billion bailout of the banks.

We know that *NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT*.  These politicians who are in the
pockets of big business, have only their interests in mind. It's up to
us to fight for our rights and needs.

We are asking for grassroots, community and youth organizations, trade
unionists, anti-racist forces, the anti-war movement and everyone who's
just mad as hell about the "bailout" to both endorse this call, and take
ownership of it. Plan actions during this period of time in your cities
across the country.

At a time of unprecedented economic crisis, we must mobilize and
organize and fight back until the demand becomes reality. */Bailout the
People, not the Bankers!/*

*Partial List of Initiators:*

Ad-hoc National Network to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions
Moratorium Now Coalition To Stop Foreclosures and Evictions (Michigan)
Labor/Community Coalition to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions (L.A.)
Service Employees International Union, Local 721
Latino Caucus, SEIU Local 721
Gloria Saucedo, Hermandad Mexicana Nacional
BAYAN USA
NY May 1 Coalition For Immigrant and Workers Rights
Chris Silvera, Secretary Treasurer, Teamster local 808
Brenda Stokely, New York Solidarity Coalition with Katrina/Rita Survivors
Bishop Filipe Teixeira OFSJC
La Peña Del Bronz
Trabahadores Por La Paz
Rebel Diaz
Queers for Peace and Justice
Women's Fightback Network (Massachusetts)
Frantz Mendes, President, USW local 8751 (Boston School Bus Union)
Action Center for Justice (North Carolina)
FIST (Fight Imperialism, Stand Together)
Troops Out Now Coalition

*National Network to Stop Foreclosures and Evictions*
212.633.6646 - stopforeclosures at safewebmail.com
<mailto:stopforeclosures at safewebmail.com>
www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org
<http://www.stopforeclosuresandevictions.org>