[act-ma] 11/5 - UNITE TO DEFEND EQUAL QUALITY EDUCATION IN BOSTON

IAC Boston iacboston at iacboston.org
Mon Nov 3 18:48:41 PST 2008

*UNITE TO DEFEND EQUAL QUALITY EDUCATION IN BOSTON*

*Stop the School Closings!

Postpone the School Committee Vote!*

*Pack 26 Court Street!
Wednesday, Nov. 5th - **6:00 PM*

**(Dec. 14, 1974 March on Boston
Say No to Racism!)

On Wednesday, November 5th, the Boston School Committee is scheduled to
vote on a plan that will mean cuts to students and parents in Boston's
communities of color.  The plan calls for the burden of the cuts to fall
once again most heavily on Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan.  As City
Councilor Chuck Turner stated in his Nov. 2, 2008, letter to School
Superintendent Carol Johnson, "Residents of Greater Roxbury have
witnessed the closing of over 70 schools in the last thirty years. These
changes have left us with the feeling that our children are viewed as
pieces on a chess board rather than human beings who have a right to be
treated respectfully. Given the fact that children of Greater Roxbury
don't have enough seats to go to school in their neighborhoods and that
other neighborhoods are working to limit our access, we are very
suspicious of any change and want to be able to clearly understand the
impact of any changes, particularly where we are going to see our
children again losing seats."

As a result of massive community opposition and protest, the School
Committee rescinded some of the school closures, and postponed until
2009 the decision on the racist and segregationist 60%/40% preference
for "walk-to" neighborhood schools.  They also postponed the vote on the
closing and consolidation plan by one week.  Even with the
modifications, and absent any serious analysis of the impact of plan on
communities of color, the plan should not go forward!

Join with City Councilors Chuck Turner and Charles Yancey, the Black
Educators Alliance of Massachusetts (BEAM), Work 4 Quality/Fight 4
Equity, Boston Parent Organizing Network (BPON),  the Women's Fightback
Network, the United Steelworkers Local 8751 (Boston school bus drivers),
Fight Imperialism Stand Together (FIST), the International Action
Center, Community Partners, parents, students and education activists to
demand that the School Committee vote be postponed.

*Call Mayor Menino  617-635-4500 * School Committee 617- 635-9014 * Dr.
Carol Johnson 617-635-9050*

The  December 14th 1974, 25,000 strong "March Against Racism" showed
that Solidarity between the Community, Labor, students, and other
activists can turn back the racist tide.  It's time to march again.

For more information: USW Local 8751 617 524-7073

International Action Center

Boston:
617-522-6626
iacboston at iacboston.org