[act-ma] tues 11/25 Fanueil Hall rally for Energy Empowerment

Loie Hayes loiehayes at verizon.net
Sun Nov 23 22:40:46 PST 2008

Please come to Faneuil Hall on Tuesday evening for an important event
linking climate/energy conservation with economic justice.

Rally for an Energy Empowerment Revolution

this Tuesday, November 25

from 6 - 7:30pm

at Faneuil Hall, Boston

At a time of unstable energy prices, economic recession and the growing
climate crisis, there is a need for urgent investment in weatherization to
help families and businesses in Massachusetts break the cycle of winter
energy crisis.

We are gathering at historic Faneuil Hall in Boston to issue our Declaration
of Energy Empowerment at a moment of fearful opportunity requiring
profound – indeed revolutionary – action on the moral, economic, and
environmental crisis that threatens the Commonwealth this winter.
The cost of food and fuel this winter will leave many of us unable to heat
our homes and feed our families adequately. We welcome the important
programs that provide fuel assistance to those who are most in need. We also
believe that we must act urgently to prevent those dollars from being wasted
forever on expensive fuels running through obsolete systems in leaky
buildings. Poor and middle-class families must not be held hostage year
after year to old technologies and to narrowly defined economic interests.

The continued waste of energy will lead inexorably to more dangerous debt,
more bankruptcies, more foreclosures, and more homelessness. As many as
500,000 Massachusetts households – one in five – are at risk.

Moreover, some of the earlier technologies which created the modern world
are now threatening our ability to maintain civilization as we know it. Our
national profligacy and inattention has contributed to emerging dangers
which, as always, will impose the heaviest burden on those least able to
bear it.

As in other moments of our national history, this confluence of threatening
events – volatile and rising prices, slow innovation, unchecked
self-interest, and environmental degradation – can also offer us the
historic opportunity to unite for action. The problems we face – and the
solutions those problems require – are interdependent. The right thing to do
has become not only possible, but desirable and attainable.

Sponsors: Action for Regional Equity, Boston Climate Action Network, Clean
Water Action, Community Labor United, Environment Massachusetts,
Massachusetts Climate Action Network, and Massachusetts Council of Churches

Info: Lilah Glick, 617-338-8131 ext. 202
http://energyempowerment.wordpress.com/
---
Loie Hayes
Coordinator, Boston Climate Action Network
Roxbury MA 02120
617-278-1885
cell 857-544-6846
www.bostoncan.org