[act-ma] Wed, 11/26: Press conference and rally for Chuck Turner, Roxbury, 10am / press release, report-back on Monday rally at City Hall

pf soto pfsoto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:27:51 PST 2008

http://supportchuckturner.com/

  Press Conference & Rally (Wed-11/26)
  <http://supportchuckturner.com/2008/stand-with-chuck-112608/>

Stand With Chuck

Press Conference and Rally in Roxbury

Download Flyer for Wednesday Press Conference and Rally (click here)
<http://supportchuckturner.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/stand-with-chuck-flier-pg-1-11-24-08.pdf>

Wednesday, November 26

Chuck Turner District Office

51 Roxbury Street

Roxbury, MA 02119

Come stand with Councilor Turner for a statement by Chuck and to
demonstrate the support of the community.

  Councilor Turner Press Release 11/24/08
  <http://supportchuckturner.com/2008/councilor-turner-press-release-112408/>

November 24th, 2008 | Category: statements
<http://supportchuckturner.com/category/statements/>

For Immediate Release - November 24, 2008

City Hall Office: (617) 635 3510
District Office: (617) 427-8100

Councilor Turner's Press Statement

After 45 years of what I believe has been a career of integrity and
service to my people, I find myself in a difficult situation.
Ironically, the fact of my arrest and the possibility of spending
twenty-five years in jail (if I live that long) while troubling, is not
my paramount concern.

Those who know me understand that beyond providing care and support for
those I love, I only have one objective in life---the liberation of my
people.  If at the end of my 45 year attempt to be of service to my
Creator by standing up, speaking out, and taking action on behalf of my
racial and human family, I am convicted for a crime I did no commit, I
can accept that as the will of my Creator.

My main concern is that I am not being tried by a jury of my peers, I am
being tried by the Globe, the Herald, Fox News, Channel 7, Channel 5,
etc., etc. etc.  News outlets that would not cover my work as a City
Councilor are now knocking at my door almost every hour demanding that I
speak to them as if I have some responsibility to serve their bosses.

In addition, Council President Feeney, on Friday at 12, three hours
before my arraignment felt it appropriate to strip me of my committee
chairpersonships and committee seats.  She then decided that it was
appropriate to have the City Council put me on trial at a special City
Council meeting called for 3 p.m. today.

Obviously, the press is working to publicly destroy my reputation before
I even have an opportunity to have a day in court.  Since I am being
tried by the media and my fellow Councilors, I have made the decision to
publicly defend myself.  That is I will act as my own lawyer in this
media trial in which I find myself.  Some argue that I should keep quiet
for fear that I may make some statement that can be used against me.  So
be it!  I will not sit back silently and allow my reputation be ripped
to shreds.

While there are more issues that I will raise in future press conference
to help the public appreciate my innocence, I would urge all assembled
to join me in the Council Chambers at 3 p.m. as I participate in the
Council's deliberations on whether to expel me from the Counsel and
deprive my constituents of my representation.

I also urge you to join me at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, November 26 in front
of my district office, 51 Roxbury Street where I will continue to
present my defense.

  Report Back from Press Conference and Rally 11/24/08
  <http://supportchuckturner.com/2008/report-back-from-press-conference-and-rally-112408/>

November 24th, 2008 | Category: updates
<http://supportchuckturner.com/category/updates/>

November 24, 2008

A sea of over 500 supporters stood with Chuck Turner at his first press
conference since his arrest on Friday.  Turner maintained his innocence
to the charges brought by US Attorney Sullivan, and denounced the media
bonanza attempting to try and convict him before his day in court.
Turner vowed to continue to fight for the liberation of his community,
and rededicated his pledge to work against poverty, cruelty and oppression.

In an attempt to preempt Turner's gathering, Council President Feeney
made a public statement at 1pm, recanting her original intention to take
negative action against Chuck by the Council.  This morning, City Hall
offices were bombarded by calls that successfully pressured Feeney to
indefinitely cancel a Council meeting to remove him from his seat.

The strong show from a diverse crowd of supporters was a testament to
Turner's 45 years of dedicated service to his community.  While Turner
has been advised to avoid discussing details of his defense, his many
supporters have begun raising critical questions surrounding the
motivations and sting tactics of the FBI and Federal Prosecutors.
Turner and his supporters will continue to demand a fair trial, and
resist the character assasination that is being attempted in the media.

Thank you to the hundreds of people who participated in todays event,
and to the thousands across this City who are talking to friends and
colleagues about the critical work of Turner, and of the broad based
progressive movement that he has helped ot build.

--
'/If you don't take responsibility for what goes in your mind, someone
else will/"

pf soto
rule19.org <http://rule19.org>
UPandOUT.org <http://upandout.org>