[act-ma] Climate Leadership Workshop - March 22nd

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Thu Mar 12 11:48:49 PDT 2009

From: Vanessa Rule <beckrule at rcn.com>
Sent: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 7:11 am
Subject: [SomervilleClimateAction] Climate Leadership Workshop - March 22nd

Hello,

We're happy to announce a second Climate Leadership Workshop in response to high demand!  This workshop will take place on Sunday, March 22nd, from 1:00pm to 4:00pm, in Cambridge, MA.  Please see flyer below.  Please register as soon as possible in order to ensure a space!  Please forward this flyer to anyone who might be interested.

Vanessa

Climate Leadership Workshop

Sunday, March 22, 2009

1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Cambridge Innovation Center, One Broadway, 14th floor,

Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA

Requested Donation:  $15

Co-sponsored by the Sustainability Institute, Clean Water Action, First Parish Cambridge (Unitarian Universalist),

Cambridge Green Decade Coalition, Greenport, Mass Climate Action Network, Somerville Climate Action

Scientific research suggests very alarming climate changes, and that we are nearing "tipping points".  Paleoclimatic records suggest that we need to take strong, immediate action.   How do we effectively communicate the climate challenge, mobilize stronger action by more people, and help our communities make the transition to safe, clean, renewable energy?

At this workshop you will receive training, background information, and electronic access to a Sustainability Institute PowerPoint presentation that you can use as you wish.  The resources and the training have been developed to help community leaders:

¨  Describe the latest climate science and what it means for our lives and the world;

¨  Summarize criteria for solutions that can sustain human civilization and earth's ecosystems;

¨  Identify common emotions and reactions people have to the science, and share experience on how to respond effectively;

¨  Engage more people in education and action.

We'll discuss approaches and strategies for reaching different populations.  You'll receive updates on advocacy and action campaigns from the MA Climate Action Network.

Many thanks to Cambridge Innovation Center for generously donating use of their space!  This workshop is made possible by a generous grant to the Sustainability Institute and community volunteers.

Presenters:

Philip Rice, Ph.D., Sustainability Institute (www.sustainer.org).  Dr. Rice directs the Our Climate Ourselves program of the Sustainability Institute, developing tools to help leaders communicate emerging climate science and solutions.  He conducts workshops for sustainable development practitioners from around the world, and for colleges and universities, NGOs, and businesses.  He works with SI's Climate Interactive Project helping to design web interface for a climate computer simulator/model being used by governments and organizations involved in the 2009 international climate treaty negotiations.

Tina Clarke, tinaclarke2 at comcast.net, 413-863-5253.  Tina Clarke has been a Campaign Director for Clean Water Action and an advocate, educator, consultant, and director of nonprofit programs since 1985.  She led a national citizen advocacy training program for 16 faith denominations, and directed Greenpeace USA's citizen activist network.  She provides consulting and training on citizen-based energy solutions and is a certified Transition Towns Trainer (www.transitiontowns.org).

To register:  Email vanessarule at gmail.com   If you have questions, please call Vanessa at 617-628-2571.   Please bring cash or a $15 check made out to Somerville Climate Action to the event.  Scholarships available.

Directions:

VIA THE T  - Take Red Line to Kendall Square, Cambridge.  One Broadway is across the street.  www.cictr.com

BY CAR - www.cictr.com/#/contact/