[act-ma] No Layoffs Campaign panel discussion at Harvard University, 3/31, 5:30 p.m.

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:28:15 PDT 2009

Hello All,

Is Harvard really broke? In October the University got its largest
individual
donation ever, $125 million from alumnus Hansjorg Wyss. Another donor,
philanthropist Eli Broad, has pledged $200 million. Harvard's latest
financial
report includes a letter from Pres. Drew Faust, who writes, "...our alumni
and
friends contributed $690.1 million during fiscal 2008, the second highest
level
of fundraising in the University's history."

This piece, entitled, "Harvard: Still Rich," reveals a lot:
http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2008/12/03/harvard-still-rich<https://webmail.fas.harvard.edu/horde/util/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.portfolio.com%2Fviews%2Fblogs%2Fmarket-movers%2F2008%2F12%2F03%2Fharvard-still-rich&Horde=3063548803b718437a7ad9dbf3500a37>

Despite Harvard's enduring wealth, some HUCTW (Harvard Union of Clerical and
Technical Workers) members are now facing layoffs, and Harvard has already
cut custodians' jobs. Please join the No Layoffs Campaign for a panel
discussion in Boylston Hall's Ticknor lounge, this
Tuesday, March 31, at 5:30 p.m. (map is attached). Speakers will include
members of HUCTW and SEIU (Service Employees' Intl. Union), as well as
students
and neighborhood activists from Allston/Brighton. We'll discuss the impact
of
Harvard's policies on our communities, and how we can unite to oppose any
job
cuts.

The No Layoffs Campaign is a group of HUCTW members and Reps, members of
other
campus unions, non-union workers, students and concerned community members.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650