[act-ma] Teach Social Justice to Teens this Summer

brgynn at aol.com brgynn at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 09:01:53 PDT 2009

The City School

The City School is a nonprofit organization in Boston that develops the power of youth to build a just society.  We do this through: creative education and critical thinking; leadership development; action and service; and promoting understanding and relationships across difference.  Founded in 1995, The City School operates after-school, weekend and summer programs that teach youth leadership, build community and develop vision.  The City School is hiring five Seminar Teachers for our Summer Leadership Program.

The Summer Leadership Program (SLP) is the flagship program at The City School.  In July and August, we bring together 60 high school youth from the Boston and the suburbs to engage in community building, action projects and intensive learning.  It is a 7-week program, Monday through Friday, where youth engage in seminars in several subject areas, contribute over 2,100 hours of community service as interns at nonprofits throughout Boston, implement student-led Community Action Projects to create change in their communities, and grow as individuals and as a learning community.

Summer Seminar Teachers

Seminar teachers are vital to the success of our Summer Leadership Program (SLP) for teens.  Seminar teachers are responsible for creating an environment the supports academic rigor and pushes the participant’s understanding of the importance education plays in their lives.  Our seminar teachers are not only charged with creating rele
vant curriculum, they must participate in the process of developing youth leaders by serving as mentors, role models and key staff for the summer.  They also must foster a unique teaching model that we identify as engaging and transformative for our youth participants. During the summer of 2009, we will hire five seminar teachers, each having responsibility and expertise to teach a specific topic: education, poverty/homelessness, immigration, violence/liberation, and health disparities.  Seminar teachers are responsible for engaging youth and staff in an ongoing dialogue and exploration of systematic oppression (racism, heterosexism, class oppression, transphobia and sexism) and movement building.

Responsibilities of Seminar Teachers:

Developing relevant curriculum, with support from the director of the program,

Leading an intensive academic seminar focused on one of the above issues,

Supporting student staff and CAP leaders (student leaders) in facilitating meetings and workshops,

Guiding a small group of youth through their social and emotional development and serving as their mentor,

Building and maintaining healthy community by supporting and nurturing relationships with participants and colleagues,

Attending all retreats, trainings, and staff meetings,

Writing a detailed individual student evaluation at the end of the program,

Attending all events related to SLP (Community Action Projects, Knowledge Cafes, We Rise Up celebration, Graduation)

Qualifications

Have astablished e
xperience in curriculum, program and youth development

Interest and skill in engaging youth in activism and community organizing

Strong communication skills

Excellent writing skills

Computer literacy

High school diploma required; some college or community building experienced strongly encouraged.

Experience, Skills, Knowledge and Personal Qualities:

Applicants should be skilled at working with both urban and suburban youth, and have a strong commitment and background in mentorship. Applicants should have demonstrated knowledge in the seminar topic they will teach.  Applicants must be comfortable facilitating large and small groups, and developing and teaching curriculum.  Applicants should be open, energetic, passionate, and have a great sense of humor. Seminar teachers are expected not only to lead, but to challenge youth to lead. Applicants should be comfortable working in and towards a youth-led, youth-owned space. Seminar teachers should respect and treat youth as equals. Finally, Seminar Teachers must be team players, excel in an intense, emotional and fast-paced environment, and be comfortable with group processes.

Salary, Timing & Requirements:
The salary is $3,800 for ten weeks, plus a combo pass for July and August.  Seminar Teachers are required to participate in one week of training, an overnight staff retreat, and a 3-day, 2-night student retreat.   The anticipated start date is mid-June 2009.  The last full teaching day for Seminar Teachers is August 14, 2009.  Teachers must provid
e student evaluations the following week.

To Apply:

Visit www.thecityschoool.org/programs.html for a Summer Teacher Application and more information.  Email (preferred), mail or fax completed application, cover letter and resume no later than April 30, 2009 to justice at thecityschool.org

If you are called for an interview, you will be asked to submit two references, official transcripts (if in school) and three complete lesson plans for your preferred seminar.  Hiring decisions will be made by May 10, 2009. People of color, men and LGBT people are especially encouraged to apply.

Applications may also be mailed or faxed to:
Justice Williams
Director of Programs
The City School
614 Columbia Road