[act-ma] Fwd:Teen Dating Violence Community Forum 4.23.09

Jaime Lederer jaime.lederer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:37:01 PDT 2009

Beyond Rihanna and Chris Brown: Moving the Conversation about Teen
Dating Violence Forward

For the past month, people across the country have been talking about
Boston teens and their perception of the widely-reported Rihanna and
Chris Brown dating violence incident. This discussion has centered
around the Boston Public Health Commission’s (BPHC) survey of
approximately 200 Boston teens given a week after the incident that
found a wide-spread belief that Rihanna was responsible for the
incident and that fighting is a normal part of a relationship.
http://www.bphc.org/Newsroom/Pages/TopStoriesView.aspx?ID=60

The Boston Public Health Commission and Northeastern University are
hosting a community forum on April 23rd  from 4:00-5:30 pm on the
campus of Northeastern University to discuss the issue of teen dating
violence and ensure that we are not just talking about Boston teens,
but that we are also talking to them and with them.

Please join the Boston Public Health Commission’s Executive Director,
Dr. Barbara Ferrer, as well as staff and peer leaders from the Boston
Public Health Commission’s Division of Violence Prevention to discuss
the issue. The survey authors will discuss the purpose of the survey
and present on additional data that was collected, including answers
to the following questions:

•     What are the rumors that you have heard about the Chris Brown
and Rihanna incident
•     What do you think actually happened between Chris Brown and Rihanna?
•     Where did you get your information about the Chris Brown and
Rihanna incident?
•     If you could give Chris Brown one piece of advice what would it be?
•     If you could give Rihanna one piece of advice what would it be?

The second part of the forum will include a panel of young people from
Boston and Close to Home, and respondents from Northeastern
University. This panel will focus on the two questions that have been
asked repeatedly in response to the survey, “What does this mean for
the young people in our lives?” and “What do we do now?”. The panel
will be followed by an open discussion/question and answer period.

Event Details

Date:         Thursday, April 23rd.  4:00-5:30 p.m.
Location:    The Ballroom at the Curry Student Center,
                  Northeastern University.
                  328 Huntington Avenue, Boston.

If you have any questions please contact Casey Corcoran at (617)
534-5674 or ccorcoran at bphc.org

Northeastern University is easily accessed by the MBTA Orange and
Green Line.  For a map and directions to the Northeastern campus:
http://www.northeastern.edu/campusmap/

For information about parking please click on the link below:
http://www.northeastern.edu/campusmap/parking.html