[act-ma] 4/22 Red and Black Unity planning meeting (wed)

Matthew Andrews peopleunite at verizon.net
Tue Apr 21 10:51:10 PDT 2009

Join us to call for a Red and Black Anti-Capitalist Contingent at the
May Day march being organized from East Boston to Everett!

We will have a planning meeting at 7:15PM Wednesday, April 22nd at
TJ's pizzeria, 487 Cambridge St, Allston.

Over the last couple years, there have been a handful of May Day and
anti-war demonstrations in Boston where non-sectarian radicals have
marched together.  From this positive experience, conversations began
to grow around making a more organized effort at unity at these
events.  We come from a tradition of directly criticizing capitalism
and calling for alternatives.  We come from the tradition that created
May Day.  Although we work in many different organizations, and many
more of us are not in any organization, we are nevertheless an
important political force.  By marching together, our identity and
message will not be lost in the mix to more powerful moderate
leaders.  We support the demands for immigrant rights in the US.  But
we also see it in the context of a global system that creates war,
exploits labor and devastates the environment.  Real solutions -and
our ability to implement them- will only come from a radical
international movement.  That's at the heart of what May Day is all
about.

Our preliminary agenda includes:
- finalizing a public announcement
- extending invitations to individuals and organizations who are not
yet involved
- deciding if we want to rally separately at the end and have speakers
from groups excluded from the main stage
- planning how to share costs associated with constructing red and
black flags, and bringing amplified sound
- choosing and practicing songs/chants for when we march!