[act-ma] Reminder: Al-Rowwad Fundraiser Sat. May 2, 3:30pm - 7:00pm: film, art exhibit, live music, Debke and Arabic food

Marla Erlien merlien at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 06:42:28 PDT 2009

Please forward widely! Thanks.
> THE AL-ROWWAD CHILDREN’S THEATRE OF BETHLEHEM HAS A DREAM

										COME TO A FUNDRAISER FOR THEIR TOUR

> Right of the wall, the olive trees, now out of reach, on lands
> annexed by Israel
>

> ‘'The wall in Aida' by Husam, a teenager from Al-Rowwad
>

> Left of the wall,  overcrowded Aida Refugee camp
>

> Help bring the 12-student troupe from the Aida Refugee Camp Al-
> Rowwad Center in Bethlehem to the USA for a July tour. Proceeds
> will also go to support the center in Palestine.
>
> Date: Saturday, May 2, 2009
> Time: 3:30pm - 7:30pm
> Host: Palestine Cultural Center for Peace (PCCP)
> Address: 41 Quint Ave. Boston MA
> Green line B-line Harvard Ave stop/ on 66 bus route. For Parking go
> to:http://palestinianculturalcenterforpeace.org/about.html#b
> email: contact.pccp at gmail.com
>
> Description
> 3:30 Movie Driving to Zigzigland; Nicole Ballivian, Writer/Director
> *PG13 - for language
> 5:30 Dinner: Delicious Food: Donated by Algiers Cafe, Andala Cafe,
> Sepal, The MiddleEast
> Live Music, Debke
> Naji Al-Ali Art Exhibit with prints for sale: all proceeds go to
> the Al-Rowwad Center/ tour
>
> Suggested donation: $25, children 12 and under are free.
>
> Sponsored by Friends of Al Rowwad, Bethlehem/Cambridge People to
> People Project and Tawassul.org
>
> If you cannot attend and would like to make a tax deductible
> donation please make your check to:
>
> Al-Rowwad USA Inc.   (a 501 (c) (3) organization)  and mail to:
>
> 79 Amory Street
> Cambridge, MA 02139

Al-Rowwad Center is an Independent Center for artistic, cultural,
and theatre training for children in Aida Camp. The center fosters
essential values such as justice, peace and freedom, respect for
others, open-mindedness, and a sense of belonging. Their work builds
on the idea that opposition to oppression can be creative non-
violence, a “beautiful resistance,” as Dr. Abdelfattah Abusrour,
the creator of the Theatre and  Ashoka fellow , calls it. Abed hones
the skills of his pupils and gives them a healthy and creative way of
confronting the trauma of living in a refugee camp that is surrounded
on three sides by Israel’s “Separation Wall”.