[act-ma] 5/14 Film on Assata Shakur and talk on Racism at Cultural Cafe

Charlie Welch cwelch at tecschange.org
Mon May 11 10:49:31 PDT 2009

ENCUENTRO DIASPORA AFRO

and
THE CULTURAL CAFÉ
in collaboration with
RED DE MUJERES AFROLATINOAMERICANAS, AFROCARIBEÑAS Y DE LA DIASPORA
Present
Activism through Film and Music:
A Celebration of Black History in the Americas
May 14, 2009
6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

AAMARP
76 Atherton Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
EYES ON THE RAINBOW
by AfroCuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando. Eyes of the Rainbow deals with
the life of Assata Shakur, the Black Panther and Black Liberation Army
leader who escaped from prison and was given political asylum in Cuba,
where she has lived for close to 15 years. We visit with Assata in
Havana and she tells us about her history and her life in Cuba. This
film also explores Assata's Afro Cuban context.

TRAS LA PISTA: LA HISTORIA DEL REGGAE EN ESPANOL
Chronicles the social and political roots of reggae in Latin America
that began in Panama and was then transformed into Reggaeton
in Puerto Rico. In Spanish - translation provided Encuentro Diaspora
Afro: mobilize • empower • creating bridges of understanding

INFO:
Encuentro Diaspora Afro:
617.522.8755 x104

Funded by: Haymarket People's Fund, Boston, Women's Fund Foley Hoag, and
RESIST.
Fiscal sponsor: Northnode, Inc.
The discussion will explore the historical and current impact of race in
Latin America, the Caribbean and North America. How is color an
issue in the Americas? Come join the discussion and share with the community

"I knew that I could never again raise my voice against
the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without
having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the
world today - my own government.."
April 4th, 1967
"A Time To Break The Silence"
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.