[act-ma] Leonard Cohen: Cancel Your Performance in Israel Demo May 29 &30 Wang Theatre

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Thu May 28 12:56:35 PDT 2009

*Please join us to tell Leonard Cohen*:

*DO NOT PLAY ISRAEL*

*Friday May 29^th and/or Saturday May 30^th  *

** *7-8:15 PM*

*The Wang Theatre, Tremont Street*

* *We plan to leaflet concert-goers to help us get the message to Cohen
as well as sing some of our own songs and chants.  We need at least ten
people to commit to each night to make it happen.

*Please RSVP glaubman.jude at gmail.com <mailto:glaubman.jude at gmail.com> &
nailajirmanus at aol.com <mailto:nailajirmanus at aol.com> to let us know
whether you are able to make this commitment and on which night so we
know whether we can move forward.*

Read the excerpt below from a 29 April 2009 letter sent to Leonard Cohen
from Israelis (both Jewish and Palestinian) appealing to him to join the
boycott.

Israel is facing one of its most immoral historical moments. Its
ruthless, criminal bashing of the Palestinians has been met with little
international criticism or curbing. The silence of most of the world's
governments continues to embolden successive Israeli governments to
commit more violent acts. Israel has violated numerous international
laws, but so far for Israeli Jews life in Israel goes on as if nothing
happened. Indeed, your people, Cohen, have built "a new Dachau, And call
it love, Security, Jewish culture," as you have so perceptively put it
yourself in "Questions for Shomrim," but only a few voices have been
raised against these injustices.

It is left for us, citizens of the world, to condemn Israeli atrocities
and crimes against humanity. Dissociating ourselves from Israel's brutal
policies is the only nonviolent way now to avoid becoming complicit in
the killing, the wounding and the maiming, and the robbing of
Palestinians. Faced with all this and more, Palestinians are calling on
all people to support their struggle for their basic rights.
Unfortunately, recognizing Palestinian rights will require a fundamental
shift in Israeli society. We suspect that this change will be achieved
only via external pressure. The least that one can do in such a
situation is not act as if it is business as usual. We see our society
becoming more and more calloused and racist and given your longstanding,
vocal commitment to justice, we cannot envision you cooperating with
continued Israeli defiance of justice and morality; we cannot envision
you playing a part in the Israeli charade of self-righteousness. We
appeal to you to add your voice to those brave people the world over who
boycott Israel. We urge you to cancel your planned performance in Israel.

If you need some inspiration, watch this video of the demonstration in
New York last week when Cohen performed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjU_zdfX9Eg  It's complete with chants
and songs that we will use.

And... for the Facebookers out there, join the group "Leonard Cohen,
drop Israel from your world tour!" at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=81564072660&ref=ts
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=81564072660&ref=ts>.

For more on the NY Leonard Cohen demo and to download the flyer:
adalahny.org <http://adalahny.org/>.
For more info on cultural boycott: pacbi.org <http://pacbi.org/>.

___
--

"/Reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it./"
"/Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world./" ~Jane

"/Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away./" ~Philip K. Dick

pf soto
rule19.org <http://rule19.org>
UPandOUT.org <http://upandout.org>