[act-ma] South Asia Day Celebration - August 29 Saturday 4pm MIT

litu lituk at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 10:14:19 PDT 2009

We mark the 62nd anniversary of the formal independence of South Asian countries from colonialism on this day.  We affirm our commitment to the struggle for true democracy and social justice in South Asia and we express solidarity with all movements against injustice and oppression.

We invite you to a panel discussion on

”The Challenges of Democratization in Post-War Sri Lanka”

By
Priya Suntharalingam
And
Ahilan Kadirgamar

with

Food to follow!

$10 suggested donation; no one will be turned away from dinner for lack of funds.

Building 4 Room 231 - MIT
August 29th Saturday 4:00 PM

(http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=4&mapsearch=go)

Ahilan Kadirgamar is a Sri Lankan Tamil democracy activist who has been monitoring and writing about the peace process for several years. He is the spokesperson for the Sri Lanka Democracy Forum.

Priya Suntharalingam, a junior at Winchester High School, underwent a hunger strike for 12 days in support of civilians under attack in Sri Lanka.

Sponsors:

Alliance for a Secular and Democratic South Asia
The South Asia Forum at MIT
Amnesty International MIT
Association for India’s Development
South Asians for Progressive Action" (SAPA).
Sanhati
Matahari- Eye of the Day