[act-ma] Picket against racism at Harvard, Thursday 9/3, 12 noon, 1737 Cambridge Street

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:38:56 PDT 2009

*Dear All,

Please come if you possibly can to our picket for Harvard employee and HUCTW
member Ravi Raj. Ravi has faced racist taunts on the job and retaliatory
discipline for complaining about them. Management is threatening to fire
him, supposedly for inferior work, even though he gets compliments like the
ones below all the time. Ravi has endured telephone harassment, and being
threatened by a stranger--at work--for protesting discrimination. Now that
he's under written threat of termination, we've filed legal charges with
state and federal authorities. But we need to expose the discrimination and
retaliation against Ravi to the public!

Our picket will take place Thursday, 9/3, at noon, at 1737 Cambridge St. (a
ten minute walk from the Harvard T). Map is below.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, HUCTW/AFSCME local 3650 cell: (617) 803-4221

Recent compliments about Ravi's work (names removed):

**
8/18: "I want to thank Ravi for devoting significant time to the task of
cleaning my laptop, following the virus attack of a week ago. All functions
appear now to be restored...Thanks, Ravi, for carrying out this work over a
number of hours, including some evening time."

8/20: "Many thanks to Mr. Raj for his great work on my computer...Mr. Raj
did a fantastic job fixing my computer. He was polite, very professional and
extremely patient with the many problems my computer had. I would also like
to mention that Mr. Raj helped me a lot with my other computer as well. I am
extremely grateful to him for the extra effort he exerted in fixing my
computer in a timely fashion." *
*
*

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a graduate student at Harvard University although conduting my
research over two years in Europe and India. Whilst on a brief visit to
Cambridge, MA, I took my laptop for servicing to the basement of CGIS
North. Mr. Ravi Raj was extremely forthcoming and very generously took
care of the computer immediately, adding essential updates and ensuring
that the instrument was in ship-shape condition in a very short period of
time. I am particularly appreciative since his window to perform the task
was extremely narrow given my own time constraints, and he did it with
efficiency and cheer. I express my deep gratitude to him.

*
Map of 1737 Cambridge St:*
*
**