[act-ma] 3/1/10 NEWTR Grant Deadline

Ed Agro edagro12 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 5 14:37:11 PST 2010

The New England War Tax Resistance (NEWTR) deadline for grants to community
groups is March 1st.  Grants are made on April 15th.

 From the Grant Guidelines: NEWTR is an eclectic group of people who refuse
for reasons of conscience to pay all or part of their income tax and/or
their telephone tax to the US Government.  Some of us deposit the money we
withhold from the government into the NEWTR Alternative Fund.  The
principal of our withheld taxes remains in escrow and is invested in
organizations whose goals we support. Interest from these investments is
disbursed in the form of small grants to local organizations. ...

Grants range from a few hundred dollars to a maximum of $1000.

Grants usually go to: Groups that work against violence and militarism
locally and/or globally; Community-based groups focusing on economic and
social justice issues.

We give preference to groups that have trouble obtaining funds elsewhere
because of their politics, their size, or their structure, and for whom our
support makes a major difference.  We prefer to help organizations take
action rather than to simply disseminate information. Please note that
grants and loans never go to individuals or to projects whose main purpose
is the spreading of a religious doctrine, and rarely are given for travel
expenses. We especially welcome proposals from groups that are
multi-cultural and/or multi-racial.

For copies of the complete Grant Guidelines and a Grant Application form,
please email lawrence.rosenwald at gmail.com